Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

53 MY Refit update, video

I haven’t posted any update on my project in a while so here it goes. Since it s been a while I ve included a summary of the work done to date...

Here is a walk thru video showing the new layout of my 53 MY. It is far from finished... it s been an ongoing project for the last 4 years and I probably have another 2 or 3 years of work as I am doing most of the work myself.

https://youtu.be/qxdZJ5vIexA

I have never liked the galley down. We love cooking and being down in a cave isn’t fun. I also noticed that many new boats in that size range have the galley aft, right by the aft deck. Down side is loosing some salon space but we still have seating for 5 if needed. I also redesigned the helm and saved almost a foot of space.

Downstairs I combined both staterooms and heads to create a large master suite. Had enough room for a 5’ jacuzzi tub and a pump closet

Forward I gutted the entire room and built a full size centerline bed. I am in the middle of building a new forward head where the dinette used to be. Much bigger than the old one and have room under the counter top for vented washer dryer combo

The old galley is currently used as a workshop and will eventually be a small office with pull out couch. There is enough room for a third stateroom but we don’t need it

Mechanically in addition to the Cummins C series repower (with new nibral props, one piece shafts and new exhaust) I have re wired the whole boat converting the house DC to 24 v. Some of the 1970 wiring I ripped out was downright scary ... not a single wire has been kept. New electrical panel as well. The only component of the electrical system I kept was a 2002 Norpro 18kW generator. New larger trim tabs have been installed to provide more lift. The boat can cruise 17kts and tops at 20kts

I redid the air con with a new dual chiller system from Flagship Marine. Also installed 4 rule 3700s with new bilge pump panel at the helm. Eventually there will be a 5th one. Every single unused thruhull has been glassed and the remaining thruhulls have all new fittings and sea cocks

Finally the old Vosper Mini Fins have been replaced with new Trac stabs. Hydraulics not connected yet...

Still have a ton of work to do including wall panels, headliners, various interior trim, glass and at then painting the boat which still bears the scars of hurricane Irma....
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Re: 53 MY Refit update, video

Great video. !!

Is there an alternate fire escape from the master suite?
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Not yet. I need to replace the center porthole with a hatch.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Great work, and what a project. I can only imagine what it would have cost, if you had a yard do the work instead of yourself.
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL

Quote Originally Posted by jmooney View Post
    Great work, and what a project. I can only imagine what it would have cost, if you had a yard do the work instead of yourself.
    The only work I didn’t do so far is the repower, Stab instal as well as the galley maid windlass removal for rebuild and 24v conversion. Also the glass work to reinforce the area around the new stabs.

If I had to pay for the interior work I d be over $350k by now.

It s crazy project made more difficult since I live on the boat and we use it. So gutting it all at once want an option but in the end I ll have the mechanicals and layout we want.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Astounding.

I can walk into a house and decide to move the kitchen, raise the ceiling, change the location of the rooms...no problem! (Done it more than once.) But I find myself in awe of those who rework a boat to this degree.

My hat is off to you!

Nick
    1984 53' Extended Deckhouse
    "Laissez Faire"
    Delivered 1-1-86 (per Sam's)
    Hull #CN737
    Sausalito, CA

WOW!
    The new layout through out is amazing and the size of the Master is something one would find on a 75'.
    It's coming along really great.
    Keep it up. I can't wait to see it all completed.

One question, did placing the frig to the side create a starboard list?
    "Lady Beatrice"
    Rob Pettigrew
    1965 50' Flushdeck Hull#9
    Houma, La.

https://www.samsmarine.com/forums/im...ine=1599353347

Thanks

No list from the fridge. If anything I have a slight list to port but I m waiting till everything is finished to do something about it. I still have to put a washer dryer combo which will be halfway on port side and I have a lot of tools and wood stored on port side.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

It's a really beautiful and ambitious project! I've renovated several houses while living in them and appreciate the magnitude of doing it that way. I have promised myself that after doing all of the mechanical and electrical updates that I will confine myself to simple upgrades like flooring, appliances, soft goods, etc., but who knows....
    Robert Moore
    Lagniappe
    '73 53' Hatteras Classic
    Hull 391