Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New To Hatteras

New To Hatteras

We just purchased a 74 motor yacht, 1996, first surprise was insurance company wants me to become a captain or only use a captain, so i am off to school for the next 2 weeks to achieve that.
    second was the bilge smell in vip stateroom, i cleaned and cleaned but think it may be a permanent thing to get used to,

Any suggestions would be great and happy to be a part of the hatteras family!

Re: New To Hatteras

Welcome to the family!! I don't have any specific suggestions as I'm not familiar with your particular model. I will say we use a product called Odoban, available at Home Depot (and other places). Get a gallon jug mix it 50% in some spray bottles and give any compartments in the vip stateroom a good spraying, even the bilges, soft goods, headliner...etc. It may take several sprayings over a few weeks but it will work well to neutralize the odor.

The smell is very strong when spraying but dissapates quickly as the product dries. I prefer the eucalyptus scent but they have citrus and lavender as well.

If your soft goods are stinky pouring a cup or two of odoban in the wash with them helps immensely to neutralize the odors.

Now if the odor is being caused by a leak in a tank or waste line, obviously that issue will need to be resolved to get rid of the smell.

Each time before I leave the boat for a week or more I walk through each stateroom/cabin and give everything a good misting with the odoban, when we arrive back at the boat it is clean and fresh smelling, no musty attic/grandma smells anymore.

Also, installing solar fan/vents on any hatches goes a long way toward keeping the cabins fresh and less musty.
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

What's wrong with the Hatt smell? I have learned to love it....

I have had 3 Hatts. They all smell the same. When I think the odor is gone, I grab some jackets out of the house closet to return to the boat, and there it is. I spent 4 days on the boat last weekend, and when we returned home, all linens in the basket as well as the dog, smelled of the boat.

We keep the boat clean, it gets scrubbed weekly by a handy-girl, in and out, but that faint Hatteras smell is always there.

I can always tell when my son and his friends have visited the boat. The smell, as well as the mess.

Hope all is well,

Tim
    Fishtales
    65c

Sorry forgot,

We also use the Odoban. Great stuff in the boat as well as my lake house basement. We buy it by the case (2 gallons). Guests bring pets to the house on some weekends, so pet accidents. Works wonders. We spray the engine room, bilges, closets on the boat with it.

Tim

We have had good results putting 1” hot tub bromine tablets into the shower sumps and bilges. Just don’t use Chlorine.
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht
    1986 model launched in August 1987

Most insurance companies require new/inexperienced owners to use a licensed Captain until such time the licensed Captain signs off on the owner’s ability to safely operate the boat. Been there, signed that.

That being said, I’ve seen the owner’s age be an issue. Welcome to the family.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93