Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

generator issues

Hello all. I have an onan 15kw that runs out of fuel after 5 minutes. I can make it run normal from a fuel jug though. i eliminated the lift pump and then worked my way back to the racor fuel water separator. when i bypassed the racor, the genset ran great from my fuel jug, i did this by removing the outlet side hose, the one going to the genset, and rigging it to run from the jug. however, when i did the same from the inlet side,thus putting the racor back into play, it only ran for 5 minutes again. so, this is where i can use some advice. can the hose on the inlet side be bad, or can the racor 500 be bad. has anyone had a similar issue. just to be clear, i bypassed the boats fuel tank when testing the intake side, but i did use the existing rubber line in the bypass, which is about 3ft long.
    the boat is a 1979 46c and the generator is plumbed to the belly tank in the engine room.

Re: generator issues

Sounds like you found it. Something is up w your racor.
    ENUFF. 1983 53MY.Hull #617 Barnegat Light Nj.

Have you verified the rubber seals in the rancor? Use a section of clear plastic line from racor to lift pump and look for air. It is possible the fuel line is picking up air. You said it was rubber, and rubber it shouldn’t be.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

It’s either a clogged fuel filter, fuel line obstruction or it’s sucking air.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Thanks seven, but I took the filter out for the test and the supply line I used is not clogged. I'm just wondering if it's more common for the rubber supply line to break down and suck air, or if its more common for the racor to suck air

More often the filter housing. I had one that sucked are from the drain. A pinched gasket would do the same.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Inspect the fuel hose especially near the fittings for cracks or damage Hard to say more without knowing what kind of hose it is Or just replace it

Then pull the racors and inspect it. Seals, gaskets etc.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

If you have not disassembled the Racor yet. Unscrew the turbine and see if there is any gunk around the check ball.

I had a similiar issue with a gas boat that had racors and as Robert said the clear line showed bubbles and we replaced the racor and the problem went away. You could do as others say and go through it replacing seals etc.