Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Re: Stupid BOAT US-need a surveyor WI/IL area

Several years ago boat us had an exclusive program with continental insurance company/cna marine. Boat us sold out to geico. Garbage policy lousy customer service.

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    The last time I was required to get a survery, I told the insurance company to pay for it. When they refused, I paid for the survey which I then used to shop other insurers and they lost my business. All they had to do was pay for the survey and they would have kept my business. Their loss.
    Understand the sentiment, but not the logic. How can a carrier pay for a survey and then not charge you back for it in the premium?
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

https://www.statelinemarinesurveyors.com/

J
    ames did a survey on a sailboat that I sold. He seemed knowledgeable and seemed to have quite a bit of experience.
    Thanks,

Tony

2008 Cheoy Lee Bravo 78 "Bella Sophia"
    1989 78' Hatteras CPMY #311 "Bella Sophia" (sold)
    2007 Everglades 290cc “Bada Bing” (sold)
    2006 Advanced Outdoors 28cc (sold)
    2003 Melges 24 "Bada Bing" (sold)
    2023 HCB 42 “Bada Bing”

Quote Originally Posted by akintosyali View Post
    Who is your insurance co?
    Boat US
    Akin Tosyali
    Hatteras 41 -Barbaros

Chicago

Barbaros, Hatteras 41' Before and after restoration

Quote Originally Posted by captcrunch View Post
    Several years ago boat us had an exclusive program with continental insurance company/cna marine. Boat us sold out to geico. Garbage policy lousy customer service.
    Two part answer:

Had damage due to some very high winds (80 mph straight line gust I was told), which cause a strong part to be pulled off the boat. Part survived, but ripped out the fiberglas. Semi-long story. The big Hatt next to me lost all his bridge canvas!
    1)
    Took me forever to get through to Geico/Boat US. I got tired of waiting and finally, without an estimate (do you really need an estimate from good, competent people?; generally no). I simply paid for the work to be done, since Geico/Boat US would not respond; came out very well. Truth be known, cured a long standing other issue, so I was very gratified.
    2)
    After another week or so they/Geico finally got back to me. "You need an estimate..." they say. Well, I have the bill, with the actual cost and I blessed it by paying it. Correct? Nope, must gotta have an estimate. So, the shop and I ginned up an estimate that pretty much pretty much matched the actual cost. After it seems many calls they agreed and I sent that in and, Voila, they pay the estimate.

So after 20+ years with the prior Boat/US underwriters, who were always fair and responsive, I was underwhelmed by Geico. However, after the huffing and puffing, they did pay my submission.

Oh, well.
    50 Years on the Great Lakes...

Quote Originally Posted by Photolomy View Post
    Understand the sentiment, but not the logic. How can a carrier pay for a survey and then not charge you back for it in the premium?
    If they only survey it every 5 to 10 years, its a minimal cost to them. They're margins are huge. They can afford to do it to make sure their risk is minimal.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI