Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Stupid BOAT US-need a surveyor WI/IL area

1965 Hatteras 41 DC.
    insured with BoatUS for over 12 years.
    I switch insurance to liability Oct-May, and May-Sept, I have hull coverage.
    Called them today to switch the insurance from liability to hull coverage. No dice.
    They are requiring me to have a SAMS/ NAMS survey.

argh.

Please let me know if you know a:
    1-Sams/Nams surveyor in Southern Wisconsin/ Northern IL
    2-A new insurance company I should call for my classic Hatt.
    Akin Tosyali
    Hatteras 41 -Barbaros

Chicago

Barbaros, Hatteras 41' Before and after restoration

Re: Stupid BOAT US-need a surveyor WI/IL area

Don't know anyone for surveyor there but you can try John Lobbezoo in Spring Lake Michigan. I know he does travel. SAMS charter member. Surveyed a Viking 44 MY for me in 2018. I trust him. Have know of him through Great Lakes Cruising club for almost 30 years.
    616-796-4777

I have American Family with My House, Vehicles, and a 4 Unit. They wanted a Survey on my 1967 31C, then they say it's too old I went with C3 Marine. https://c3marine.com/ Bought her end of season so was on the hard. I think he spent a good 10 to 12 hours on it. I can send a copy of his work.

If policy is written with correct layup there should be no need to switch policy back and forth and there actually shouldn’t be any savings as the layup period would contemplate this. Things can happen to the vessel while on the hard as well.

I tried today to get a quote from boatus on my 1966 41 TC. They said they dont insure boats over 50 years old.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

Boatus is geico marine. There are plenty of better options out there for coverage and price

The last time I was required to get a survery, I told the insurance company to pay for it. When they refused, I paid for the survey which I then used to shop other insurers and they lost my business. All they had to do was pay for the survey and they would have kept my business. Their loss.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

There’s not a carrier out there that will pay for a survey.

Quote Originally Posted by captcrunch View Post
    There’s not a carrier out there that will pay for a survey.
    Well, they should. If they pay for it, then they own it and you can't shop with it. It would be a good way to keep you with them.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

You wouldn’t want a surveyor working in behalf of the carrier they would find a laundry list of mandatory recommendations you would have to take care of in order to maintain coverage