Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Acid wash

Acid wash

Now that the mechanicals and the electricals are all completed it's time to start on the cosmetics. I doubt that the boat has been acid washed or polished for at least 10 years. The paint is mostly holding up. But needs attention now. I am wondering what the best acid to clean the paintwork and remove oxidisation is? I've heard hydrochloric acid damages the finish on stainless. Looking to use a soft broom, not my hands, for this job.
    +++
    1984 61MY #353 with 9' cockpit extension.
    Sydney, Australia.

Re: Acid wash

Years ago we used Ospho on the hull to remove dark water stains. I was always concerned that it was doing more harm to the fiberglass than good. I didn’t think Hatteras used gel coat. I thought they were painted after they came out of the mold. The Ospho was pretty mild if you want to try that. Don’t get it on anything aluminum.

you would be surprised at how much a little elbow grease and a simple decent wash/wax solution will accomplish.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

I should have said that the boat is being prepared / tested for clearcoating. I simply wish to know the recommended acid that will not necessarily damage any of the existing two pack paint or stainless or aluminium. It's not in the plan to hand polish the boat at this stage
    +++
    1984 61MY #353 with 9' cockpit extension.
    Sydney, Australia.

My yard uses diluted toilet bowl cleaner.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    My yard uses diluted toilet bowl cleaner.
    Same here. I use Sno Bowl to clean the waterline on my bay boat. It’s basically hydrochloric acid with some surfactants thrown in. Not sure what strength it is compared to conc HCl.
    Mike Peters, 1985 43MY, Cat 3208T, Blue Bayou; 2011 Key West 246BR, F250, Baby Blue; Punta Gorda FL