Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Generator Fuel Supply

We have two generators installed on our 1989 Hatteras 60MY. The 20kW is placarded #2 and the 8KW is #1. The 8 might not have been original because it was never hooked up to the oil pump out selector port labeled Gen #2. I can’t tell which fuel tank feeds which gen anybody know. Hatteras is closed do to the China virus.
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310
    Sturgeon Bay/Ft. Lauderdale

Re: Generator Fuel Supply

Quote Originally Posted by Sadey View Post
    We have two generators installed on our 1989 Hatteras 60MY. The 20kW is placarded #2 and the 8KW is #1. The 8 might not have been original because it was never hooked up to the oil pump out selector port labeled Gen #2. I can’t tell which fuel tank feeds which gen anybody know. Hatteras is closed do to the China virus.
    Run one for an hour and see which return line at the tank gets hot.
    1977 Hatteras 58' MY, Hull No. 304, 4-stateroom galley up model with 8V71TIs in Knoxville, Tennessee

And don’t assume it is still factory original especially if the second genny was added on. They may have run new lines and tapped either tank. You re going to have to trace the hoses although yes checking for temp may help
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

As luck would have it I also had a fuel leak that I had to track down so right now the flooring is up around the fuel panel access covers. I’ll check it out. Freebird is making me run the boat right now. I guess that’s what his fee covers. I’ll ask him to take over so I can check it out. I’m guessing he’ll charge me extra for it. By the way just coming up on government cut @1524 EST.
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310
    Sturgeon Bay/Ft. Lauderdale

On my ' 89 M/Y 65' both generators were feed by a common line from the engine room tank. They split in the gen room and then went to the Racors. An easy test would be to blow some air back and then see which tank has bubbles. When finished, don't forget to bleed the lines before cranking.
    Summer Star II
    1986 Christensen 70'
    Ensenada, MX

The original, aft generator, is plumbed to the aft tank. I just installed a new generator in the forward position. The boat blueprints showed a line(s) from the forward tank to the generator room, but they were not there. There were bungs in the forward tank for fuel and return lines. The original lines are 1/4 ID and the generator manufacturer recommends not to T off other lines, so I ran new lines back to the forward tank per the original plans... so, more than likely the 20kw Onan goes to the aft tank... if they T'd off the original line, I'd guess they both draw aft... mine is a 63MY
    Last edited by dottieshusband; 05-02-2020 at 04:30 PM.