Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New Electronics

New Electronics

In the process of refitting the interior and was planning on having Scott supply and install a Garmin Suite when the majority of the woodwork is finished. The plan is for a new radar, transducers, a digital spine for monitoring engine gauges and alarms, (my original panel is fried), display screens, and auto pilot.

My question is: as I am about to start yanking the headliners down to replace, should I run conduit to accommodate the new wiring. If yes, where would the various terminus be and what size pipe is recommended.

Thanks for your thoughts

mark
    Mark
    1981 56' MY Hull #320
    "Lady Ann"

Re: New Electronics

Plan the project before adding conduit.

It may not need a lot of wires
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Or, replace the headliner with removable panels so you can take them down anytime you need to without having a nightmare.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
    Or, replace the headliner with removable panels so you can take them down anytime you need to without having a nightmare.
    What type of panel is everyone using?
    Mark
    1981 56' MY Hull #320
    "Lady Ann"

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
    This is a great idea. I was on a Burger the other day that had industrial velcro removable panels, was pretty amazing. Just snatch a panel down, access whatever necessary and snap it back up into place.

If I ever have to re-do the headliner I will be going this route no-doubt.
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

Quote Originally Posted by Chasemmc View Post
    In the process of refitting the interior and was planning on having Scott supply and install a Garmin Suite when the majority of the woodwork is finished. The plan is for a new radar, transducers, a digital spine for monitoring engine gauges and alarms, (my original panel is fried), display screens, and auto pilot.

My question is: as I am about to start yanking the headliners down to replace, should I run conduit to accommodate the new wiring. If yes, where would the various terminus be and what size pipe is recommended.

Thanks for your thoughts

mark
    Use panduit with a removable cover. We used to use it in all our control panels.

https://www.automationdirect.com/adc...s)/t1e-4030g-1
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

The thing you can always count on with the electronics you purchase is that they will become obsolete.

Our Chris Craft came from the factory with a zippered headliner in the main salon, which provides access to all electrical and electronic wiring going to the fore deck including nav lights, vhf antenna, mast and anchor light to name a few.

We upgraded to a full suite of Garmin electronics and satellite TV six years ago and as part of the upgrade, I had a new headliner made for the hardtop with a zipper in it. Now I have to replace our KVH system but with the new headliner there's minimal labor involved other than just replacing the electronics.

Unzip the headliner, cut the old wiring loose, remove and replace with new and then zip it up when done.
    Brian L

IMPETUOUS - 1984 Hatteras 53 ED MY Hull #CN720
    GOD'S GIFT - 1972 Chris Craft 42 Ft. Commander
    QUEEN B - 1974 Century 24 Ft Buccaneer
    GOD'S LITTLE GIFT - 1962 Johnson 19 Ft. Runabout
    MON AMI - 1984 Catalina 30Ft. Sloop

Quote Originally Posted by Chasemmc View Post
    What type of panel is everyone using?
    1/4 plywood covered with foam backed vinyl headliner material staples right on the back side. Attached with industrial Velcro. I always staple the Velcro strips as I find the adhesive a bit weak. Depending on what you had you may need to add wider wood strip to attach the Velcro to the ceiling
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Thx 1/4" ply it is. I'II take pixs as i go. Read an article that the high end boats using a leather look alike by sailrite. Any opinions on the material? Mark
    Mark
    1981 56' MY Hull #320
    "Lady Ann"

Be careful what glue you use if you glue the foam to the vinyl, the wrong kind will bleed through the vinyl. Ask me how I know. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.