Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Fuel Lines--What a PIA

Got around to starting the process of replacing old fuel lines on top of the motors. Did the starboard motor and what a pain in the rear! Pics not in order.
    IMG_1597.jpg
    Reprimed from port motor via my fuel cross feed line. Probably the easiest, cleanest and most fool proof method of filling the secondary and purging air. The adapter cleaned up better than I expected but did take some time.
    IMG_1600.jpg
    After initial leak check, I pressurized the starboard fuel system to about 80 psi (60 is about cruise pressure) via the cross feed and by closing the starboard fuel return valve. I let it hold while visually inspecting the hoses and connections--just one fitting needed a tweak.
    IMG_1601.jpg
    Sure is pretty, but this is a job I'd have paid to have done. It's a jigsaw puzzle of getting all the lines through the chase and the fittings started. I had the hoses made up 1/2" longer which wasn't a bad idea except for the fuel pump to filter line. Had to remove the filter adapter to hook it up then use clamps to get the adapter close enough to get the bolts started. I've already lined up some help for the next motor.
    Last edited by racclarkson@gmail.com; 04-28-2020 at 10:17 AM.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Re: Fuel Lines--What a PIA

Looks beautiful, I need to redo mine also. What did it cost?
    ENUFF. 1983 53MY.Hull #617 Barnegat Light Nj.

3. Re: Fuel Lines--What a PIA

That looks great! How old were the old ones?

There is no worse feeling than when you lean up on one of those old 10 -15 year old rock hard fuel lines and hear the cracking noises they make as the inner liner fails. Same with the external oil hoses.

Thanks. Appears they were vintage ‘06. Right at $400 hoses with all new fittings; they’re very proud. The old hoses looked bad. Looks can be deceiving. I cut one and could’ve used a saws all. Anyway, I’ll sleep better when both sides are done.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Are the fuel lines custom made at a shop or an off the shelf item with DD part number?
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Robert where did you source the re-usable fittings? I found the hose but had trouble finding the fittings.

I took the old hoses to my local industrial hose shop for duplication. They have a wide selection of fittings. Hate to think what the dd dealer would’ve charged. Plus I know they wouldn’t have CG approved hose, at least not in stock. Hose shop had it all done while I waited in an hour.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Looks great, I did mine a few years ago and local mechanics asked me what I was doing when I arrived on the dock with a coil of hose. They mentioned that they charged $1500 to do the job.
    The fittings are usually the biggest pain to source , they list for about $30 each. But then can be found for about $10 to 12. Cutting the hoses is no fun either. I used a cutting wheel on my side grinder. Had to do the cutting outside to avoid setting off the CO detectors. Another problem is cleaning the new lines ,most shops do not do this. I blew the lines out and then rigged an adapter to flush the hoses with a water hose and then blew the water out. Hopefully this was more help than harm. Now I should replace the large hoses from the transmissions . And also the small lines from the transmissions to the direct reading drive oil gauges .
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL

Good point on cleaning. I confirmed shop final cleans with a foam tampon. Nevertheless, I blew them out into a plastic container before installation so I could see if anything came through. I was also diligent in plugging or covering all fittings until time of installation. This allowed shop vacuuming on top of the motor to further reduce the chance of picking up contamination.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Actual hose brand ? Thanks, Edward