Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Re: 1989 Hatt 52 Conv in Montauk

Good advice from Rustybucket.

My first boat was a 1975 36' hatteras series 1 convertible, that had been redone with new genny and 440 hp yanmars. We redid the interior, and felt the mechanical equipment was in great shape. It was, but they didn't prep the stringers for the much higher horsepower which created issues when trying to sell as the engines moved up and down at the sea trial, lol. So, I had to pull the engines and fix the stringers to sell. That's really another story though. In general any fixes were in line with the prices you mentioned. Needed some work, but other than the stringer issue, nothing unusual, and was priced a lot less than comparable boats with that kind of engine HP and speed.

Fast forward 15 years, and now I have a 2008 60' gt. Phenomenal boat, but wasn't maintained for shit down in the gulf. It has taken me a year to get things where they need to be with new water heater, pumps, hoses, bilges, lighting, etc. So, this is say, a middle aged boat, and needed plenty of work, but it's 1/3rd the price of a new 60 (59).

My father always went the new boat route, including a new 2000 48' Ocean, then a 2002 52' Viking. The punch list on the Ocean was ridiculous. The viking was better, but even that boat had a significant punch list. Now, those items on both boats were covered under warranty, but he paid top dollar for that. It was worth it to him to pay more for the warranty piece of mind.

For me, I would rather pay significantly less (not take the initial depreciation hit) and then pay for items that need attention. We each have to make a list of what's important economically, etc when buying any boat. It seems you have thought about most items that could need addressing and seem ready to jump. YOLO, and it seems like you are on the right path.

@Rustybucket and @wiredup. Thank you, I agree. For the right price (he is hinting just send a check) and this could be a great deal. This is perfect for what my family needs now. We just got our Ocean in yesterday and my 3 year old ran over that boat way too quickly... The extra room and that giant flybridge will be a god send.

After working at Viking it is true. People do not realize how riddled new boats can be. We used to see about a year to truly get the bugs out. Some has gotten better but these are machines that get put through the ringer on a average canyon trip.

We have had a lot of interest in our boat so hopefully will find something out. With the market coming back up everyones 401K do not look as bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Canyonkeeper77 View Post
    @Rustybucket and @wiredup. Thank you, I agree. For the right price (he is hinting just send a check) and this could be a great deal. This is perfect for what my family needs now. We just got our Ocean in yesterday and my 3 year old ran over that boat way too quickly... The extra room and that giant flybridge will be a god send.

After working at Viking it is true. People do not realize how riddled new boats can be. We used to see about a year to truly get the bugs out. Some has gotten better but these are machines that get put through the ringer on a average canyon trip.

We have had a lot of interest in our boat so hopefully will find something out. With the market coming back up everyones 401K do not look as bad.
    The giant bridge and cockpit are two of the best features of the 52c IMO. The bridge has more seating than most in the 65' range. The cockpit has more sq/ft than most in the 65' range.
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

Ok! Our boat is in contract for a decent price. If all works out we will have 15-20K for immediate work. Boat has to make it 20 miles to East Hampton.

Offer going in shortly...

Quote Originally Posted by rustybucket View Post
    Had a friend with relatively new cats in his boat. One of the computers went out during a trip, of course that one engine was inop the remainder of the trip and the cost to fix was a new computer at approx $20k. You know how much a computer will cost for one of your detroits if it goes out? Yup, that's right, trick question, there is no computer to go out, so the repair would be $0.
    2 years ago I replaced the computer on a 1650hp C32 for $3000. $20k ? It must have been a MAN
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Here is the listing; https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1989/hatteras-52-convertible-3659933/

O
    ur boat is in contract and seatrial/survey saturday. With this, I am going to go over the Hatt top to bottom (bottom looks good).

The boat needs a pretty major rub rail repair (photos in link). Outside of that it is lots of cleaning and polishing. Thoughts in the rub rail repair. Is the rubrail fiberglass? I was thinking of section the piece out. Bring to my shop and rebuild and paint. Then grind out the damage to the hull, fair and paint.

Also, what color paint is the boat and what brand?

After you take the stainless trim off the rubrail and toe rail should be made of fiberglass. The deck mold is laid on top of the hull mold like a lid on a shoe box. The only bad thing is that Hatteras used to thru bolt the cap and the hull then fiberglass the joint from the inside. Can't tell from the picture but, it looks like you can get to the backside from the salon. if you can get to it from the back, cut out the broken, crushed glass, then build a mold on the outside with masonite or formica. Grind the glass with a long bevel and start glassing. The hull are may be cored in that area as well as the deck. You won't know until you cut it open. You may have to cut a section of the deck out and work from the top. A pneumatic angle grinder would be my tool of choice.

How does the 52 compare to the older 53?

As others have said... 100k will go in the blink of a eye. Just 1 example... the 20k Ono generator... just a new coolant pump, if you can find one a grand... just buy a new genny.. the Ono is not worth rebuilding... your 1st 20k gone.

Question Re: 1989 Hatt 52 Conv in Montauk

Hello Canyonkeeper77,

Any update? Did your boat sell and you make an offer on this Hatt? Having purchased a somewhat abandoned 45C and bringing it back, I always like to read about similar efforts.

Good luck!
    JCG