Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Re: 1989 Hatt 52 Conv in Montauk

These were very well made boats when they were built. Not perfect, and things do wear out, but there's a lot there to work with (and on) Good luck, and I hope this comes together for you.

Also, parts support via Samsmarine.com is better than any other brand, I'm certain. Maybe that's why so many owners of other brand yachts frequent this forum.

@Jim_Rosenthal. Thank you. My ocean yacht served us well but I am getting tired of what I call Ocean Yacht issues. They made a great light boat but it is a mess of wiring and not enough glass. There are spots where a door frame should be solid to the floor and it is not. The bulkhead between the engine room and staterooms is barely tabbed in place.

FYI we have a 1990 Bert 54 in our sights too but I like this 52 Hatt because it will allow me to build what I want until I sell some shares in my company and get a late model 65!

There is nothing wrong with your idea to buy that boat at a very cheap price. That is what I did last June with my boat.
    The problems for most people start with an incomplete inspection before purchase. You have to spend a lot of time going from bow to stern and inspecting every single item on the boat to make a realistic determination of what works and what doesn't. In my experience the majority of people see an old boat for next to nothing and start thinking a new interior, rebuild an engine and generator, clean things up and away they go. Unfortunately it never works that way. The things you miss will eat up a huge amount of money. Unrealistic estimates of time and costs for repairs, even if you can do a lot of them yourself, is where the problems come into play.
    I spent a week going over my 61 cpmy before buying it and still managed to miss a good number of expenses.
    If you are going to buy that 52' Hatt and put it in a yard to get most of the work done, given your description you will spend $100,000 before you blink. And you will be a long way from done.
    In the end do you want to own a very old boat, with tired engines, generator, and components, for what amounts to a lot of money.
    Given the current state of the world economy there are going to be some never before seen buying opportunities coming up. I would bet you will be able to buy a really nice boat that needs nothing much for less than you will spend on your current idea.

I have a 1985 52C, lived on it full time in Boston for 8 years now, let me know if you want to know anything and I will try to help.

Quote Originally Posted by Canyonkeeper77 View Post
    That is asking... obviously I not offering anywhere near there!!! I came here for advice about the boat not advice about buying it. Obviously I am looking to make an informed decision hence why I am asking the people here.
    Advice on the boat, then. It has 2strone detroits in it. They were good in their day, but they are obsolete and can't not compare to a modern engine like a cat 3406/3412 (which would be in vintage a few years newer than this 52). You likely will have a DD overhaul on your hand in the near future, have you priced that? And who knows how well the "recent" overhaul was done.

Labor rates and your time cost the same whether it is on a boat you paid $10 for or 200k for. The difference is the 200k may need much less labor.

What about paint? Painting a boat costs a small fortune. At 30 years old, it probably needs paint.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Ok. Just to clarify below are the costs I am aware of as this is my 10th boat (I am 42). I have owned everything from sail to my recent Ocean 38. Most of which I bought for very low redid and sold for a profit. Best, was a Hunter sailboat for $600 put in $1000 and sold for $4000. That involved rebuilding the Yanmar in the back of my car as I lived in an apartment.
    1. Engines DD 8v92 need a rebuild. $25-$30K got it (friend is service advisor at J&T). But, note exhaust and turbos appear new
    2. Generator Onan 20KW 3300 hrs. Should be fine. But, I just rebuilt my westerbeke top to bottom so ready for that $1K parts
    3. AC $4k per unit but 3 appear OK
    4. Batteries. Yup got it they are not cheap. I tend to buy new 8Ds when needed. Put one in alone once. Never again $4K
    5. Bilge pumps, shower sumps, and vacuflush. I get wholesale but I expect will need to be redone. $3K
    6. Canvas & Bridge cushions are new and stored int he stateroom
    7. Electronics: Probably shot. Will go to Max Marine Electronics for some decent used stuff. $6K
    8. Paint: Fine for now. Will wet sand and polish. Probably paint the cockpit/bulkhead when I redo the door. $2K
    9. Bottom/Props no blisters and props were redone recently
    10. Coring: Well Ok the unknown but with any boat this is a concern. When at Viking they did more core repairs then you could imagine. It is part of life on boats.
    11. Tower/Hardtop/Outriggers: fine but need refreshing. But, they are not needed to sleep
    12. Windows: They are sealed and not leaking. The frames need paint.
    13. Steering. Should be OK but hey they sell pumps.
    14. Kitchen: Sub Zeros: One goes fine. Jenn Air makes a great replacement that is a drawer $2K or GE has a good under counter unit $400 microwave cooktop. Easy house appliances.
    15. Headliner: Just redone with flushed in Halogen lights. Replace every-bulb with LED
    16. Flooring: Remnant carpet as the rest has vinyl floor put down.
    I maybe missing some general stuff but I think this covers. Lets say I get the boat in the 40s. Put $60K into it I will end up with a solid amazing boat with plenty of room for my family. Plus a boat that can take any sea.

If the boat is 32VDC will see this is the one thing that would be a issue me as all of my wholesale deals are 12/24 but I can get bilge pumps in 32VDC.

So if anyone can find me a good boat with 3 staterooms for $100K, that is ready to go and not a Ocean yacht let me know. 99% will have 2 strokes.

Quote Originally Posted by Canyonkeeper77 View Post
    Ok. Just to clarify below are the costs I am aware of as this is my 10th boat (I am 42). I have owned everything from sail to my recent Ocean 38. Most of which I bought for very low redid and sold for a profit. Best, was a Hunter sailboat for $600 put in $1000 and sold for $4000. That involved rebuilding the Yanmar in the back of my car as I lived in an apartment.
    1. Engines DD 8v92 need a rebuild. $25-$30K got it (friend is service advisor at J&T). But, note exhaust and turbos appear new
    2. Generator Onan 20KW 3300 hrs. Should be fine. But, I just rebuilt my westerbeke top to bottom so ready for that $1K parts
    3. AC $4k per unit but 3 appear OK
    4. Batteries. Yup got it they are not cheap. I tend to buy new 8Ds when needed. Put one in alone once. Never again $4K
    5. Bilge pumps, shower sumps, and vacuflush. I get wholesale but I expect will need to be redone. $3K
    6. Canvas & Bridge cushions are new and stored int he stateroom
    7. Electronics: Probably shot. Will go to Max Marine Electronics for some decent used stuff. $6K
    8. Paint: Fine for now. Will wet sand and polish. Probably paint the cockpit/bulkhead when I redo the door. $2K
    9. Bottom/Props no blisters and props were redone recently
    10. Coring: Well Ok the unknown but with any boat this is a concern. When at Viking they did more core repairs then you could imagine. It is part of life on boats.
    11. Tower/Hardtop/Outriggers: fine but need refreshing. But, they are not needed to sleep
    12. Windows: They are sealed and not leaking. The frames need paint.
    13. Steering. Should be OK but hey they sell pumps.
    14. Kitchen: Sub Zeros: One goes fine. Jenn Air makes a great replacement that is a drawer $2K or GE has a good under counter unit $400 microwave cooktop. Easy house appliances.
    15. Headliner: Just redone with flushed in Halogen lights. Replace every-bulb with LED
    16. Flooring: Remnant carpet as the rest has vinyl floor put down.
    I maybe missing some general stuff but I think this covers. Lets say I get the boat in the 40s. Put $60K into it I will end up with a solid amazing boat with plenty of room for my family. Plus a boat that can take any sea.

If the boat is 32VDC will see this is the one thing that would be a issue me as all of my wholesale deals are 12/24 but I can get bilge pumps in 32VDC.

So if anyone can find me a good boat with 3 staterooms for $100K, that is ready to go and not a Ocean yacht let me know. 99% will have 2 strokes.
    I think that if the 1 engine is verified to be done right and still in good shape your budget seems realistic. But have at least another 10-20K available for the other things that will be found needing replacement or just need to be done while things are apart and being serviced. Things like a water heater pulled out to work in and area and found to be near end of like or you simply want an upgrade since its always out. Not many consider stuff like that going in. If you plan for it or simply can afford those items as they come up you're good to go. Do a thorough survey if anything to avoid too many surprises down the road.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

I'm kinda surprised at some of the responses here. I mean, I get it, they are trying to warn you, but after reading your first few posts it was pretty apparent to me that you know what you are getting into and have the connections necessary to make this all happen. Old boats are expensive, we get it.

When we were looking at boats, I found that even the newer models with much more premium pricing STILL needed all the things done that the older junk boats needed. It doesn't matter if the boat is 10 or 20 or 30 years old, all the equipment, soft goods, electronics...etc will need the same attention. Why pay a premium price for a boat when I'm going to re-do everything anyways? Most boats listed on the market as 'turn-key' are FAR from actually being turn-key.

I think you are in line with your budget numbers. As with any project of this nature there will be unforseen things that need to be fixed, it's a boat for gods sake. I think you are very aware of this and will be able to handle it appropriately. It's not rocket surgery.

The thing I don't get with people advising on older boats.... For some ungodly reason they seem to think that new or newer boats are without problems or have fewer problems. From my experience this couldn't be farther from the truth. New boats have issues too, LOTS of them. And the thing about new boat issues is they generally cost exponentially more to fix/resolve than old boat issues.

Had a friend with relatively new cats in his boat. One of the computers went out during a trip, of course that one engine was inop the remainder of the trip and the cost to fix was a new computer at approx $20k. You know how much a computer will cost for one of your detroits if it goes out? Yup, that's right, trick question, there is no computer to go out, so the repair would be $0.

I've spent more than my fair share of time around new and newer yachts/boats. This may not be the 'popular' opinion, but IMO they are more expensive to own/maintain than owning/maintaining an older boat with detroits. And the kicker is when you really sit down and crunch the numbers on fuel burn the newer engines really don't get that much better fuel economy. Even the latest greatest tech with carbon fiber hulls are all still sub 1nm/g. The only real benefit from newer power is hopefully going several thousand more hours between rebuilds. That's obviously worth something, but what, $200k? $500k? $1.2mil? I could rebuild my detroits multiple times for what I would pay to step up to a boat with newer cats/mans/mtu's.

Sounds like you're on the right path. The boat can be converted to 24v, which would make life a little easier on you but the conversion cost will probably run around $5k +/-. We chose to punt the conversion b/c all our 32v stuff was working fine. The only 32v equipment I've had to buy is light bulbs and bilge pumps.
    Last edited by rustybucket; 05-05-2020 at 12:12 PM.
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

Fully agree with Rustybucket. Got into my 34 on a shoestring budget in 92. Turned out to be a great place to start. Friends advised against it but I was in love with the brand and the lines. Sure there were times it was down with no money to fix it right. In some ways I was in over my head.

But what a trip it has been!
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

This isn't your first rodeo and I agree with the folks who think you should go for it. I do, too.

As far as overhauling the one DD 8-92... okay, fine, but if I were looking at that boat, I would also be looking for a pair of CAT 3406s to install in it. They are great engines, they will easily fit in there, the boat will go faster and use less fuel, etc etc. All good things. They were made for a long time so they are out there. Only other thing would be a Cummins M11 reman but it would probably cost at least 2x as much.

I hope you are able to put this deal together, get the boat running and fixed up, and show her off here.