Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Re: 1989 Hatt 52 Conv in Montauk

The 52 is a great platform/hull for the mods you are talking about. The cockpit is HUGE and plenty of room for the mezz. You might have already seen my thread here on the forum we are on the tail end of the mezzanine, bridge extension, tuna tube/baitwell project on our 52c. If you are interested in heading down that road it's definitely worth a read. Also several other members here who have done similar projects, lots of good info out there.

The 4 ac's, one for each stateroom 7k, 7k, 5k, one for the salon 24k. If they are salvagable they are fairly easily rebuilt with new compressors or relays/capacitors. They are pretty simple units and often serve a long reliable life. If they are all garbage I'd switch to a chiller system, there would be room to put 2 (one as a failover) if you got rid of all 4 units. I personally would not go with the self contained units, i'm just not a big fan of them.

Got any pics of the vessel or link to the ad?

As with any boat of this vintage check for rot, lots of the coring is balsa, but lots of it is foam as well. We've found a couple small spots of bad balsa (under loose rod holder, under unsealed screw in bottom of bridge ladder) but the VAST majority we cut out was in pristine condition.

The 52c is an absolute tank of a boat. We can comfortably run in 4-6' seas when everybody else has to slow down. It's kinda funny, several times we have been passed on the way out, but when the weather turns and it gets snotty we are the ones passing everyone else lol. I guess slow can be fast if you look at it from the right point of view

The 8v92's are good engines, easy to work on but the access on the 52 is pretty tight. I do not think you could do an in-frame on a 52 but it is a good candidate for repower or rebuild if they go to shit. The engines will come out the salon aft wall with 3 small cuts and window removal.

Paint is likely salvagable, buff/polish or wet sand it should look very good.

Salon door, they absorb water from the bottom and swell. We have had to sand/shave the bottom of our door a few times when it gets 'sticky'. So the bottom is the first place I'd check, easy fix if that's it.

Being an electrical guy, you are going to REALLY appreciate the quality of the electrical work/systems on this boat. All my wiring and panels are immaculate, clearly labeled and wires are very neatly routed. We came from an Ocean 38 to this boat and the wiring is night and day difference.

If you have any other specific questions/comments feel free to ask! Good luck with the purchase!
    Last edited by rustybucket; 04-30-2020 at 10:18 PM.
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

Well, if you decide to take the plunge on this boat, we will all watch with keen interest as you dig into all these problems.

It sounds like you know what you are biting off, here, so if you can get it cheaply enough, why not? At least you'll have something to keep you busy.

I would not try to live on a boat whilst remodeling or restoring it. Esp with a 3yo and a newborn. I don't think so. Youmight end up jumping overboard just for some peace and quiet.

Quote Originally Posted by rustybucket View Post
    The 52 is a great platform/hull for the mods you are talking about. The cockpit is HUGE and plenty of room for the mezz. You might have already seen my thread here on the forum we are on the tail end of the mezzanine, bridge extension, tuna tube/baitwell project on our 52c. If you are interested in heading down that road it's definitely worth a read. Also several other members here who have done similar projects, lots of good info out there.

The 4 ac's, one for each stateroom 7k, 7k, 5k, one for the salon 24k. If they are salvagable they are fairly easily rebuilt with new compressors or relays/capacitors. They are pretty simple units and often serve a long reliable life. If they are all garbage I'd switch to a chiller system, there would be room to put 2 (one as a failover) if you got rid of all 4 units. I personally would not go with the self contained units, i'm just not a big fan of them.

Got any pics of the vessel or link to the ad?

As with any boat of this vintage check for rot, lots of the coring is balsa, but lots of it is foam as well. We've found a couple small spots of bad balsa (under loose rod holder, under unsealed screw in bottom of bridge ladder) but the VAST majority we cut out was in pristine condition.

The 52c is an absolute tank of a boat. We can comfortably run in 4-6' seas when everybody else has to slow down. It's kinda funny, several times we have been passed on the way out, but when the weather turns and it gets snotty we are the ones passing everyone else lol. I guess slow can be fast if you look at it from the right point of view

The 8v92's are good engines, easy to work on but the access on the 52 is pretty tight. I do not think you could do an in-frame on a 52 but it is a good candidate for repower or rebuild if they go to shit. The engines will come out the salon aft wall with 3 small cuts and window removal.

Paint is likely salvagable, buff/polish or wet sand it should look very good.

Salon door, they absorb water from the bottom and swell. We have had to sand/shave the bottom of our door a few times when it gets 'sticky'. So the bottom is the first place I'd check, easy fix if that's it.

Being an electrical guy, you are going to REALLY appreciate the quality of the electrical work/systems on this boat. All my wiring and panels are immaculate, clearly labeled and wires are very neatly routed. We came from an Ocean 38 to this boat and the wiring is night and day difference.

If you have any other specific questions/comments feel free to ask! Good luck with the purchase!
    I’ve seen plenty of 52’s inframed most of the problem is most everything needs to come out the cockpit access door. The 52 was built the years Hatt was getting their butt kicked by Ocean yachts. Hatt started lightening things up. They started making the interior structural to the hull. There is a beam that runs athwart ship/ side to side that is sistered into the hull. DO NOT CUT this beam. I watched a 52 being repowered by 60 series Detroit’s back in the late 90’s spread 3” when they cut into the salon deck structure. I’d talk to Hatteras or a naval architect before you start breaking out the sawzall on a 52
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

@Rustybucket Thank you! Enough of the armchair captains were starting to make me angry with this forum but you revived me.

What is funny is we are moving up from a 38 Ocean. The wiring there was maddening. Only so much I could do and I rewired the bilge system and most of the bridge before throwing in the towel.

Thank you for the detail on the AC. They look new (white models as opposed to blue) and the one looks in good shape. The AC guy on LI is good and served me fairly well with my boat. He talked me out of a new evaporator and instead rebuilt the fans. Saved me a small fortune.

Also the door is interesting. I will check that out.

@Jim_Rosenthal It is a weekend liveaboard not a full time. We have a house and a yard in NJ. We use the boat in East Hampton, NY and cruise extensively around the area. My business partner is also in the area so we tend to work Fridays out there and host meetings. Got to love being a tech company these days. Especially since we work with Roku.

We had a bunch of hits on our boat and are hoping to find out soon. As long as she runs for now I can bring her back. You should have seen out Ocean yacht when we got her. My boat is listed on Yachtworld located on East Hampton, NY and the 52 is in Montauk.

Oh! @rustybucket I devoured oyur mezzanine thread. Amazing work. Willing to share the molds haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Canyonkeeper77 View Post
    @Rustybucket Thank you! Enough of the armchair captains were starting to make me angry with this forum but you revived me.

We own old Hatts. Some made the mistake of buying "cheap" boats that needed tons of work. I've likely looked at more used Hatteras boats than 3 people combined would in their lifetime...all from the comfort of my armchair.

And from my armchair I'd hardly call $65k super low for a 31yr old 52 that's been on blocks for many years that may need major work or overhaul on one main engine. It leads us to wonder if you have much knowledge regarding the the market for these boats.
    Last edited by jim rosenthal; 05-01-2020 at 10:39 AM.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Quote Originally Posted by Canyonkeeper77 View Post
    Oh! @rustybucket I devoured oyur mezzanine thread. Amazing work. Willing to share the molds haha.
    Would be happy to but they were 1 off's. They were destroyed when pulling the parts. I highly suggest going that route if you are doing the project. Using birch or luanne plywood you can make really nice 1 time molds for your parts.
    SOUTHPAWS
    PENSACOLA, FL

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    I’ve seen plenty of 52’s inframed most of the problem is most everything needs to come out the cockpit access door. The 52 was built the years Hatt was getting their butt kicked by Ocean yachts. Hatt started lightening things up. They started making the interior structural to the hull. There is a beam that runs athwart ship/ side to side that is sistered into the hull. DO NOT CUT this beam. I watched a 52 being repowered by 60 series Detroit’s back in the late 90’s spread 3” when they cut into the salon deck structure. I’d talk to Hatteras or a naval architect before you start breaking out the sawzall on a 52
    The beam you are talking about (I think) that runs under the island, was cut on my boat. After sitting in the yard with the beam out for several years, we re-installed it and I would say it separated by about quarter inch, we had about a 1/4" gap on both sides and 1/8" of that could be explained by saw blade width. We used aluminum channel to bridge the edges a little and fully tie the beam back in.

I don't know how you would ever get the engines out unless that beam was cut.

While an in-frame 'could' be done on a 52, I seriously think it would be easier, and quite possibly cheaper, to pull them and have it done in a shop.
    SOUTHPAWS
    PENSACOLA, FL

I’m a few years into refurbishing a 50c that was probably in a similar condition to what you’re looking at. Major effort, major $s. Would have been much better to purchase a well maintained boat. But it has been fun, can’t complain. If I were starting over today, I’d look at that 52 like it was a barrel of WTI crude oil on 4/20.

Quote Originally Posted by krush View Post
    We own old Hatts, you don't. Some made the mistake of buying "cheap" boats that needed tons of work. I've likely looked at more used Hatteras boats than 3 people combined would in their lifetime...all from the comfort of my armchair.

And from my armchair I'd hardly call $65k super low for a 31yr old 52 that's been on blocks for many years that may need major work or overhaul on one main engine. It leads us to wonder if you have much knowledge regarding the the market for these boats.
    That is asking... obviously I not offering anywhere near there!!! I came here for advice about the boat not advice about buying it. Obviously I am looking to make an informed decision hence why I am asking the people here.