Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

1989 Hatt 52 Conv in Montauk

Over the weekend we drove out to check on our Ocean yacht and decided to stop by and look at a 1989 52 Convertible. The boat sat on the land for 4 years. This boat is listed super low so I had to take a look. Here are the details that worry me in order.
    1. One 8c92 has 4400 hours the other has 500
    2. Generator 20KW Onan has 3300
    3. 4 AC unites on has the cover off so assume not working. The large one (salon I assume looks new) and all ACs have original controls.
    4. Salon door will not close ties shut...
    5. Starboard rubrail took a nasty hit and needs repairs
    6. Paint is dull all over. Can this wet-sand and polish?

While the boat was one of the dirtiest I have ever seen on the outside the interior was surprisingly clean. It was custom ordered with only the forward stateroom hatch so zero water in the boat. The interior just needed a through clean, carpets and updated valances.

At the price they are asking $65K my brains says BUY BUY BUY as we have been shopping for a 3 stateroom big boat for so long and are constantly coming up short.

Now here is the issue. Is it salvageable? If it runs I feel it is worth it. But, I am concerned about the ACs and the generator. We have a 3 year old and one on the way. We spend a lot of time in the harbor (300 yards from our slip in East Hampton) on the hook and need the generator to run stuff for the family.

Finally, people that have 52s/55s what are some things to look for? Any trouble areas or concerns?

Re: 1989 Hatt 52 Conv in Montauk

I own a 52C and from the description your looking at a pretty big money pit. You can bring anything back but having grown up on the east end of Long Island I can tell you there are no reasonably priced yards out there and your mechanical and AC work will most likely all be sublet. If I were you I would be looking for a 52, if that's the size your looking to buy, that has been re powered or low hour Detroits and somebody else has spent all of the money already on upgrades. The boat your looking at sounds like it's going to cost quite a bit to make a lady out of her unless your extremely handy. Oh. FYI Hatteras boats are painted not gel coat so most likely a quick compound and wax wont get her to shine either.

Thank you. I am fairly handy in terms of boats as I am a former Viking Yachts electrician(ran my own business on the side doing custom work). With this, funds are not unlimited... life has been good to me. Also, I would not do the work in LI, not with what those yards charge. I would move down to Lanoka Harbor, NJ do to my connections with Henriques yachts.

Mostly I am looking for advice from the forum of people who have 52/55s on these systems. It would be a liveaboard for the summer to start sorting through. As for paint, it is not salvageable? If it has to be painted it has to be painted. I am ok with that.

With the 4 AC compressors. Does each stateroom and the salon have separate units? If the bedroom is bad can a self contained unit be put in(I can get them wholesale)?

As the 8v92TI I am comfortable with a rebuild at this price. There is a yard in LI that specializes in 2 stroke DD.

Quote Originally Posted by Canyonkeeper77 View Post
    Thank you. I am fairly handy in terms of boats as I am a former Viking Yachts electrician(ran my own business on the side doing custom work). With this, funds are not unlimited... life has been good to me. Also, I would not do the work in LI, not with what those yards charge. I would move down to Lanoka Harbor, NJ do to my connections with Henriques yachts.

Mostly I am looking for advice from the forum of people who have 52/55s on these systems. It would be a liveaboard for the summer to start sorting through. As for paint, it is not salvageable? If it has to be painted it has to be painted. I am ok with that.

With the 4 AC compressors. Does each stateroom and the salon have separate units? If the bedroom is bad can a self contained unit be put in(I can get them wholesale)?

As the 8v92TI I am comfortable with a rebuild at this price. There is a yard in LI that specializes in 2 stroke DD.
    Likely an AC unit for each stateroom and one for the salon/galley. You could put a self-contained in the master, just have to find one that fits (assuming it's under the berth like mine). There's a good chance the paint is salvageable, Hatteras used Imron which is extremely durable. Even if a compound/polish/wax won't do it, a wetsand first will likely bring it back (VERY LABOR INTENSIVE). Here's what I would be asking myself:
    1. Why was the one DD rebuilt? Hours? Overheat? Implosion?
    2. Is this a 32v vessel? If so, how many pumps are inoperable? Including windlass $$$$$
    3. Does it have galleymaid raw water heads?
    4. The aft bridge and cockpit have been known to have rot, check closely.
    5. Bottom condition (blisters?)
    '88 55'C hull 394 ​BEATs Therapy
    12-71 TA's ZF BW190 1.5:1 gears

89 was the cored hull something to be aware of and contrary to popular belief the coring does extend below the waterline. I’ve seen one gutted by a pole that chewed thru the hull. These are the higher hp 92/s 720 740 somewhere in there that are a lot less forgiving than the 650 hp in the earlier boats. I knowMontauk damp wet cold salt air 4 years of sitting in it creeping up the exhaust? Turbos and exhaust are going to be suspect for heavy rot. I know someone who just got a mint running 45 for nearly free. With the impending economic doom I wouldn’t take it if they paid me.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Quote Originally Posted by ageless View Post
    Likely an AC unit for each stateroom and one for the salon/galley. You could put a self-contained in the master, just have to find one that fits (assuming it's under the berth like mine). There's a good chance the paint is salvageable, Hatteras used Imron which is extremely durable. Even if a compound/polish/wax won't do it, a wetsand first will likely bring it back (VERY LABOR INTENSIVE). Here's what I would be asking myself:
    1. Why was the one DD rebuilt? Hours? Overheat? Implosion?
    2. Is this a 32v vessel? If so, how many pumps are inoperable? Including windlass $$$$$
    3. Does it have galleymaid raw water heads?
    4. The aft bridge and cockpit have been known to have rot, check closely.
    5. Bottom condition (blisters?)
    Working on getting some more details. It is a distressed sale due to illness so I have been gentle with questions.

1. Need to find out the DD details.
    2. I forgot to check this. I can ask the broker when he is out there. Does the 1989 come in both? Surprised it was not a 24VDC
    3. Thank got no!!! I hate the GM heads. It has a vacuflush system
    4. Will check the bridge but not to concerned as I plan to extend the flybridge and add a mezzanine.
    5. No! The bottom was in great shape.

In a perfect world we would be buying a late model 60 but with the insanity of the CV-19 and my board members keeping a tight grip on the money I need to be a bit conservative. With this in mind we would get a solid old boat that with not to much would have a nice boat for now.

If you double you budget you'll 10x your boat.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Quote Originally Posted by krush View Post
    They should pay you to take the boat off there hands.

Haha. Everyone. Yes... the price is a suggestion. The broker has informed me they will take way less. And what boat at $120K will be a Hatteras in this size range? I like the room of the 52/55 and most are listed for $150K plus. Trust me we have been looking for a long time and before Covid out budget was higher but that even limited. Most 55's have the 3/3 layout which I do not like for my family. The forward stateroom with that half head will be a nightmare with my child.

Other than the engines. Is there anything I should look for with 52s of this era? The good, the bad and the ugly.

Quote Originally Posted by krush View Post
    A cheap boat is one of the most expensive things you can buy.