Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Re: Is there an effective way to clear a blocked vent pipe for a holding tank?

Jmooney, Good idea. If I have to mess with this problem further, I will use your suggestion!

Ndow, On our boat, the vent lines from the holding tanks are round fittings that sit almost flush with the outside of the hull. I was able to use a hose to run some water from a hose on the dock into the system. The vent line has a 90° fitting bolted to the inside of the hull and the line rises up about a foot above the fitting before heading back down in what seems to be a continuous, winding slope to the holding tank. We did succeed in hearing water running into the holding tank while running water into the vent line from outside. I was ready to open the vent line at the tank if the pump-out folks had trouble the next time they visited, but they had no more trouble. Whether or not that means we were successful in clearing a blockage with the water hose running into the vent or with the pump-out fellow taking his vacuum hose to it is not something we have proven yet...but we have not had problems the last few pump-outs.

It would be nice to know exactly what the problem is/was and if we have actually removed the problem permanently, but at this point it seems to be working.

Nick
    1984 53' Extended Deckhouse
    "Laissez Faire"
    Delivered 1-1-86 (per Sam's)
    Hull #CN737
    Sausalito, CA

PROBLEM SOLVED!

Recently changed pump out companies (again). The new company has a new boat with a new gasoline powered pump that has no problem at all emptying the tank in a fraction of the time the previous company would spend.

I have learned a lot about the holding tank system on this boat as a result of the issue the previous company had - but it is nice to know that the problem was not our system, but the pump out company's!

Thanks for all the suggestions...I will remember them!

Nick
    1984 53' Extended Deckhouse
    "Laissez Faire"
    Delivered 1-1-86 (per Sam's)
    Hull #CN737
    Sausalito, CA

I had a similar issue and ended up just running a new vent tube from the tank to the thru-hull. The only problem I ran into was PO used heater hose for the vent tube and it was so heavy and thick we had to cut it into pieces to remove it prior to running new tubing. That made for a fun project.
    "A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor"

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL