Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Is there an effective way to clear a blocked vent pipe for a holding tank?

Update:

First I removed the the pump out deck fitting cap so I wouldn't build up pressure in the holding tank. Then, using low pressure with a water hose, I pressed the nozzle against the outside of the vent where it comes through the hull. (The vent hose coming from the tank goes above the through hull fitting about a foot and a half and then down to a 90° fitting through the hull.) I ran some water into the hose and after a few cycles of putting a bit of water into the vent hose and then giving it a rest, I figured that if there was a blockage, I probably got some water onto the outer end of it.

I then gave it an hour or more to soak (if indeed a blockage existed and I had gotten water to it). I then took the wet/dry vac to the outside of the vent hose through hull, prepared to possibly get an ugly reward for my efforts. The vacuum pulled out nothing but smell. (Maybe that is a good thing.)

I then had my wife hold some plastic wrap over the pump out fitting hole while I used the vacuum on the vent hose through hull. She reported a pretty good pull down on the plastic wrap from the vacuum. I believe that this indicates at least that the vent hose is at least moderately open.

We probably won't have another pump out for another 4-5 days so I won't know for sure if I have fixed the problem or just eliminated the vent hose as a suspect. (The fellow who was doing the pump out said that he thinks it was a vent problem.)

I appreciate all the suggestions and will update when we know more.

Nick
    1984 53' Extended Deckhouse
    "Laissez Faire"
    Delivered 1-1-86 (per Sam's)
    Hull #CN737
    Sausalito, CA

Sounds like the dreaded pickup tube problem.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

You are probably correct, but I am trying to eliminate the vent as a possible (and perhaps easier to fix) problem first.
    "Laissez Faire"
    Hull #CN737
    Sausalito, CA

Well if it is the dip tube, I found this well produced video series to be extremely helpful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3nMZIW2dJc
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

The dip tubes on the older boats were copper and rotted off. But in 1984, you should have a schedule 80 pvc dip tube so it shouldn't be a problem.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Mr. Clarkson have you received enough views of your how-to video to start being paid yet?

Walt Hoover

Millions. Accounts in Caymans, Turks, Switzerland. The dough just rolls in. But what with royalties, residuals, taxes and legal expenses related to offshore banking and money laundering, I'm depending on my stimulus check to hit.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Current status is that the vent tube is clear enough to have water run into it and hear it flowing into the holding tank.

The most recent pump-out was successful, but the fellow said that it would pump-out stuff for a bit and then stop and then start again. He felt that it eventually got all the material out after it started and stopped a few times.

I have been cramping my brain to try to figure out what might be causing this behavior. It seems to me that if the dip tube was leaking, it would pump down a bit and then, once the level of the liquid was below the level of the leak in the dip tube, nothing but air would be pumped out.

Part of me thinks I should pursue an answer to the question, the other part says that as long as the tank seems to be being pumped all the way out, why should I worry.

Nick
    "Laissez Faire"
    Hull #CN737
    Sausalito, CA

Kids.
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults

Quote Originally Posted by Nick in Manitou View Post
    Current status is that the vent tube is clear enough to have water run into it and hear it flowing into the holding tank.The most recent pump-out was successful, but the fellow said that it would pump-out stuff for a bit and then stop and then start again. He felt that it eventually got all the material out after it started and stopped a few times.I have been cramping my brain to try to figure out what might be causing this behavior. It seems to me that if the dip tube was leaking, it would pump down a bit and then, once the level of the liquid was below the level of the leak in the dip tube, nothing but air would be pumped out.Part of me thinks I should pursue an answer to the question, the other part says that as long as the tank seems to be being pumped all the way out, why should I worry.Nick
    Dip tube. Solids floating around, rocking the boat, starting and stopping will help get all you can get. The question is how much is left? And you know it will only get worse (I can see it’s already worrisome to you). For that you need to stick the tank. A 1/8” dowel rod would do if you could get one tank plate screw out. Or drill the tank plate (or screw you break), rod it and then tap for a machine screw.
    Last edited by racclarkson@gmail.com; 05-13-2020 at 02:24 PM.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC