Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Window tint products

It’s been years since I had tint installed. What’s the latest and greatest?
    1977 Hatteras 58' MY, Hull No. 304, 4-stateroom galley up model with 8V71TIs in Knoxville, Tennessee

Re: Window tint products

When I purchased my boat last year it had all the glass done with VKool films and I would say it is one of the best products out there. There is very little heat transfer in direct sunlight, much better than conventional auto films. Only problem is it is VERY expensive.

3m make a tint like the one mentioned above, it is the kristaline (sp) line. your local 3m tint shop will demonstrate how it reflects heat. the one i put on my windshiels has very little tint -color whatever you want to call it. it is almost clear but does a great job with the heat. it is also a little pricey
    Mis b' havin
    1972 58 yachtfish
    58yf352
    pass christian, ms.

I have 3/4 inch plexiglass wing doors. Is there any kind of film that will work on this material?

I was told by my plexiglass vendor that you can use tint films on plexiglass in fact they said that if you want tinted plexi you should buy clear and put tint on it because most of the pre tinted plexi now comes from China and is crap, which I can confirm. A lot of the clear is still made here in the US. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

I can attest to the benefits of 3M Crystalline tint. I had it installed on all the windows of a leased electric i3 a few years back including on the front windshield. They make a tint that is essentially clear, but blocks nearly all the IR and UV light. It was expensive, but worth it.
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht
    1986 model launched in August 1987

I had Vkool installed on the forward skylounge windshield of the boat i run. That was 3 1/2 years ago. It’s good but expensive. It still allows quite a bit of heat but helps. Windshield has to be clear for night time navigation

The demo they do with a heat lamp is a bit misleading as it doesn’t last long enough the heat the glass
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

We installed Huper Optik Ceramic and it is amazing how much heat it keeps out of the cabin. With the old tint the boat would be steamy hot even in mild weather sunny conditions. Now it's bearable even in hot weather with sun beaming without any ac running. There were several other brands like 3m that appeared to be similar.

Even when we were tinting it was amazing standing between an un-tinted window and a tinted window with half your body on each. The half on the untinted window would be cooking and you couldn't even feel the heat from the tinted side.
    Last edited by rustybucket; 05-27-2020 at 04:37 PM.
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

There is a clear window film that blocks out uva and uvb and heat. It is a ceramic tint. Just use a good ceramic film as it will last longer