Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: 58' Yachtfish for $29,000

This was someone’s dream at one point. Now it’s going to be someone’s nightmare. Such a shame.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    I have spent $250k on my 53 so far. Factory reman C series, new shafts, stabilizers, Thruhulls, new chiller system, new everything except the genset and that s doing all the carpentry, electrical and plumbing myself (guessing $100k labor savings)

Still need to finish interior and then paint. Will be $350k by the time it s done

I would love a YF for the water access but a new larger platform will have to
    Do.

Personaliy I don’t find line handling easier with a cockpit unless you have furniture in the way of the lines. One thing though... some hatteras has smaller opening at the corners for lines which make it a lot more difficult
    Okay, I just have to ask...

Why spend $350K plus your estimated $100K labor into your 53?

I mean no offense, but... why?

You can buy a lot of boat for way less, not to mention resale should you decide to go a different route.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

He could have bought the pizzahut.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by tomrealest View Post
    I prefer the 58 Yachtfish as opposed to the 53' Motor Yacht because it is much easier to deal with the stern lines for my NON-athletic wife. The rear deck is shorter by at least a foot and a half as well as the master stateroom. For us the trade off is worth it. I agree with Pascal that you would be looking at a $100,000 at least and it would be easy to spend $200,000 or more. For a talented guy who has a understanding and supportive wife it might be interesting depending on what he could do himself. The best years for the Yatchfish with all the improvements that Hatteras made were either 1978 which had engine room louvers on the side vents or 1979 or later which had the more modern engine vents.
    tom, i have to disagree with you on the shorter aft deck and master. i was told by a service person at hatteras that the only difference was the added 5 ft cockpit and more tankage. i stripped the teak decking off of my back deck and found the original spot where the 53 my has the escape hatch in the aft deck.
    Mis b' havin
    1972 58 yachtfish
    58yf352
    pass christian, ms.

Like Seven said, it is a shame.

I remember when you had to spend $200 ,to get a 58YF, now you can get one for less than $29K.

It's a shame!
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Freeebird View Post
    Okay, I just have to ask...

Why spend $350K plus your estimated $100K labor into your 53?

I mean no offense, but... why?

You can buy a lot of boat for way less, not to mention resale should you decide to go a different route.
    What could I have bought? A Sea Ray? A Mutt? I have the boat I want with the layout I want and set up the way I want!

I love the galley up and aft, it is such an improvement. Open right onto the aft deck. I have a master that s bigger than the master on most 60 footers... heads that are twice the original size with a 5’ jacuzzi in the master... centerline full size bed at the bow... modern stabilizers... a huge aft deck (bigger than the current 60 hatt) excellent acccess to everything for maintenance. And all in a bullet proof hatteras hull

I couldn’t care less about resale value... I ve owned it for 17 years and intend on keeping it until I m too old to grab a line and cleat it
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I have a 54MY with an 8 foot cockpit extension that contains a 7 foot deep garage. I bought this boat while looking for a 58YF after selling a 43MY. The cockpit makes life so much easier and fun for kids, dogs, and older people which is what I am becoming.

In a total gut job like this, what would you ideally repower with.

Would a 58YF be a candidate for the Zeus or Volvos?

How about 4*400 outboards and re-purpose the engine rooms?

Pretend the boat is free and it's your ex-wife's money.

Bruce

Freestyle
    1986 62 CPMY (54 with ext)
    Tampa

I recently saw an old sportfish in the Caribbean that was sporting triple 400’s. Not sure what it does to the dynamics of the boat but I would be interested in finding out.

There is an HCB 53 with quads for sale a few slips down... I believe it burns over 100 gph at a 45 kts cruise. That’s on a boat with no superstructure and super light.

Imagine the fuel burn if anyone would bolt outboards to an old hatt? If they could even provide enough torque.

And four outboard will probably cost more than a pair of reman cummins
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    What could I have bought? A Sea Ray? A Mutt? I have the boat I want with the layout I want and set up the way I want!

I love the galley up and aft, it is such an improvement. Open right onto the aft deck. I have a master that s bigger than the master on most 60 footers... heads that are twice the original size with a 5’ jacuzzi in the master... centerline full size bed at the bow... modern stabilizers... a huge aft deck (bigger than the current 60 hatt) excellent acccess to everything for maintenance. And all in a bullet proof hatteras hull

I couldn’t care less about resale value... I ve owned it for 17 years and intend on keeping it until I m too old to grab a line and cleat it
    Buying another (larger) Hatteras is what I was thinking/talking about, but if you like that layout enough to invest that much in it, that’s a different story. Couple that with the fact you never intend to sell it definitely helps justify the expense. The key to never losing money on a boat is to never sell it.

It kills me to see boats advertised for $250K that underwent a recent $1M refit. It’s like, what were they smoking to spend that kind of money on a boat they didn’t intend to keep forever?

I’ve actually never really thought about it, but how do people get insurance on boats that will cover these high dollar refits that don’t add much to the market value/appraisal of the boat?

I’m not directing that towards you, but then again, you may well end up with the most expensive 53MY in existence by the time you’re finished. Personal labor contributions aside, can you get enough insurance to cover your investment?
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93