Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Re: 58' Yachtfish for $29,000

In that price range therefore age range, most older hatts have a layout that came out of the 60s and 70s. Small staterooms, banks forward, galley down (or galley up but forward like the 58MY), some have no side decks, others have ridiculously small aft decks... none have chillers (I m done with the splits) and very few have been repowered. And stabilized. And having 30 years thruhulls, questionable bilge pump system... The list goes on and on

Then there is dockage... as much as I like the wider beam of the later models, my slip here is about 18’ wide. I would have had to move elsewhere where dockage would be at least 50% more...

And I really enjoy the work and the challenges of coming with ideas and solutions. Same reason why I spent almost 3 years designing and building my 26’ classic gaffer

As to insurance right now I have the bare minimum and will increase it to whatever is possible when finished... yeah it s a risk.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

One quick thought on the “over improvement” of old Hatteri (and other quality boats) is that if you did buy a boat like the one shown and spent $500K fixing it up you would have a fantastic 58’ boat for the price of a new 35’ to 40’ boat that would likely not have the anything close to the same level of solidity. The other factor is that if you kept the new $500K Sea Ray (or whatever) 5 years it would be worth the same $225-250K as the Hatteras 5 years on from the refit. Boats aren’t ever an investment, I would not hesitate to “over improve” a boat I loved. I will hide invoices and perhaps not give a full accounting to my wife about how much I spent....

Except you can buy a late 90's or early 2000's hatteras for 500k.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Quote Originally Posted by krush View Post
    Except you can buy a late 90's or early 2000's hatteras for 500k.
    Except that would be a 70 footer more or less which for many isn’t an option like I mentioned earlier because of dockage availability and costs. And almost all 90s hatt had ridiculously small aft decks.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Bottom line is that we all make our choices and pay our money. If you like the style of the classic 60's-80's style Hatteras designs and if all things are relatively equal in terms of Total Cost of Ownership, it is totally worth "over improving" as long as you love and enjoy the final result and you go in knowing that this is a "passion purchase" versus an investment.

Personally, I love the look of those classic Hargrave designs (the 58' Motoryacht and the 58' Yachtfish are two favorites) and a fully updated version would be my perfect boat. That is likely to be my path as I think being able to buy a effectively new 58' motor yacht with classic style for $600K (all in) is a fantastic value even if it is only worth $300K when I go to sell (hopefully many) years later.

I think after looking at all the 58 Yacht Fishers for sale out there, including Louis' listing with Denisons for $399,000.00, I'd rather buy this for as cheap as I can get it. Gut it, pull the gen set and engines, plus everything else. Then redo the whole boat and have the boat I want the way I want it.

I know if I bought Louis's boat I'd wind up spend a lot of money to make it the way I want it so I'd never spend what he is asking. I just think if the hull of this boat is in good condition and you want a 58 buy this one and make it your boat.

I agree with Pascal then you'll have the boat you want and let your executors worry about selling it. I restored other boats and sold them based on the market, knowing when I did restored it I was doing it for the love of the boat not to make a profit.
    Last edited by Byresch; 05-10-2020 at 11:46 AM.
    Regards;
    Byron
    “In this world, you must be oh so smart, or oh so pleasant. Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant.”
    ― Elwood P. Dowd

We went the cheap boat and did a full restoration and I still think I could sell it for more than I have in it, well I didn’t want that to happen so I am now installing new stabilizers so I can join the club of people with more in their boats than they can sell them and I am very happy to be there because it is a Hatteras and set up the way I want it. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

The original ad on Craigslist has expired, the new one doesn't have any pictures and states it needs "a little TLC". He says the engines ran last year and won't start because the batteries are dead, I think he has some wishful thinking there. Here is the new ad:

https://newjersey.craigslist.org/boa...121263961.html
    Regards;
    Byron
    “In this world, you must be oh so smart, or oh so pleasant. Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant.”
    ― Elwood P. Dowd