Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: fresh water in oil

Quote Originally Posted by rustybucket View Post
    When was the last time you ran her up? The water in oil could just be condensation, but that doesn't explain the high oil level.

If the oil wasn't milky I doubt the water in the oil contributed to the smoke. I think you need to find the source of the smoke first. I would have guessed diesel in the oil, but if the test came back negative for that.....

When you pulled the oil out, was it pulled from the bottom of the oilpan? The water should have been on the bottom, so when you sucked some out you should have gotten straight water almost.

Idling for 40mins in the slip isn't really good for these engines although, other than some slobber and potential carbon buildup, I don't think it would hurt them. They really need to be loaded to test/check much of anything.

I guess I'd crank her again in the slip and look for signs of smoke. Sometimes it helps to turn the engine room lights off and use a flashlight or headlamp to inspect everything. You'd be surprised what you can see with all the lights off and a concentrated beam, really highlights stuff like smoke and assists in finding the source.
    It was last December the last time I ran around 2000 RPMs for a short while. Engine ran great no temp problems, no smoke. The oil was drawn out of the bottom of the pan using the oil removal system on the boat. Lab report does not show diesel in oil. The oil has about 10 hours on it since last change, The port engine does not have this issue. The oil is NAPA 75118 straight 40W. Thanks for your input. Joe

Did you have water when you drained the oil? Could it have been condensation ?
    ENUFF. 1983 53MY.Hull #617 Barnegat Light Nj.

The oil sample taken from the bottom of the pan shortly after shut down was sent to lab and the lab determined that fresh water was found in the oil, no signs of engine coolant (Glycol). The oil was not milky when I sent it to lab. Thanks, Joe

Don't know about your setup, but the Ti's are definitely raw (fresh in your case) water cooled. In the Ti, the intercooler sits above the roots blower, and a failure would put raw water through the blower and into the Airbox and through the liner ports into the crankcase.

The engines are 6V92TA not Turbo Inter cooled (TI). Thanks, Joe

TA, aftercoolers are engine coolant cooled. TI, intercoolers are raw water cooled.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by joesig View Post
    Yes, Marina Del Ray, Joe
    I bought my boat and she was parked there at Marina Del Ray. Kept her there for about 6 months before I moved her. She was in the slip right next to the boat ramp. I enjoyed sitting in the back of the cockpit and watching the show as people tried to launch. I really enjoyed Madisonville and Marina Del Ray but it was too far from the Gulf for me.

Quote Originally Posted by joesig View Post
    It was last December the last time I ran around 2000 RPMs for a short while. Engine ran great no temp problems, no smoke. The oil was drawn out of the bottom of the pan using the oil removal system on the boat. Lab report does not show diesel in oil. The oil has about 10 hours on it since last change, The port engine does not have this issue. The oil is NAPA 75118 straight 40W. Thanks for your input. Joe
    If you had enough water in your oil to raise the level 3/4" the bottom 3/4" of the oil pan should have been water -OR- the oil should have been chocolate milk color.

Others have asked but did you notice any water in the sample you pulled NOT "did the oil analysis come back with water", we know that. When you pulled the oil out was there a layer of water at the bottom of your container?

If there was no water in your container AND the oil is not milky, I'd venture to guess your water is condensation and your smoke issue is a completely separate issue.

During certain times of the year when the water is much colder than the air your engines will sweat/condensate, this can lead to water in oil, but not enough to raise it 3/4" and not enough to make it milky.
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

When I pulled the oil sample for analysis I drained it into a empty Rotella 1 gal jug, I couldn't see the oil flowing. At the time I was just trying to figure how much liquid raised the level 3/4" on the stick. When I called my mechanic I did pour out a little in a plastic Tupperware container on the boat and when I looked at it the next day it had a milky look to it. he said to bring the oil in the 1 gal jug to him and he would send it out. On a positive note, today I looked at the sea water pump on the engine and I can see some corrosion in the inside of the housing under the pump shaft indicating a shaft seal leaking. Wednesday my mechanic will be at the boat and we will go from there. Thanks for your comments, Joe

Update, this past Wednesday my mechanic found sea water (fresh) in some cylinders. The exhaust pipe from the single turbo to the shower head was full of water. Also, it appears that one piston rod is bent causing engine to lock up when rotating crankshaft.Mechanic only worked half day had another job to go on, will be back this coming Monday to finish tear down. I was not ready for this with only 250 hours since last rebuild. Still investigating cause of water. The engine coolant side held 15 lbs and no coolant leaked into engine. The shower head doesn't appear to have any cracks but will be tested, I think something in exhaust pipe or muffler cause a back flow. That's it for now