Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Re: fresh water in oil

That sucks !! Better to find out while slipped I guess. Good luck and keep us posted and get some good pics.
    ENUFF. 1983 53MY.Hull #617 Barnegat Light Nj.

Friday I went to the boat and figured I would try and look inside the 8" exhaust pipe to muffler. I stuck my phone in pipe at inlet by engine and took a picture. I can see a shiny object near muffler inlet. I need to investigate further. I don't know how to attach a picture. Joe

Quote Originally Posted by joesig View Post
    I don't know how to attach a picture. Joe
    "Manage attachments" below the typing box when posting...... upload the picture. It has to be on the same device as you are posting from, so easiest would be to post from your phone. If you don't do forum on your phone you need to download the picture to your computer and then post here and "Manage Attachments" "Add File" "Choose" "Upload"
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Here are a few pictures. Joe
    Attached Images

This is an update; My mechanic came out to the boat and pressure tested the coolant side at 15 psi did not find any leaks. Removed air box covers and found signs of fresh water (sea water). While baring the engine over it locked up. Removed all injectors and fuel tubes found water in #1 cylinder. Removed exhaust pipe from turbo and shower head, found the pipe and turbo with water in them. Removed oil pan, both cylinder heads and all pistons and liners. Found #1 piston with a bent rod and the lower section of the liner was cracked. Blower, after cooler and turbo removed. At this time, it looks like sea water, not coolant entered engine through turbo exhaust. We removed the entire exhaust system including muffler and did not find any issues. The section of exhaust from turbo including shower head was pressure tested to 50 psi with no leaks found. Parts for an in frame rebuild are presently underway, including rebuilt, heads, blower, turbo, after cooler and new sea water pump has been purchased. The root cause of the problem is not known at the present time. I have considered; exhaust plugged (animal in exhaust), engine rotated backwards while shutting down for a very short while. We don't have an answer.
    Attached Images

OUCH!!! Best of luck to you, keep us posted as to status and cause.
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

engine rotated backwards while shutting down for a very short while.

And that was the last time it ran?

Well you have gained some experience and will have a freshly rebuilt motor. Wonder why only one cyl was affected ? Good luck keep the pics coming.
    ENUFF. 1983 53MY.Hull #617 Barnegat Light Nj.

Sorry to hear about the engine troubles! If you find the root cause of the water intrusion will you let us know? Thx.
    Brian L

IMPETUOUS - 1984 Hatteras 53 ED MY Hull #CN720
    GOD'S GIFT - 1972 Chris Craft 42 Ft. Commander
    QUEEN B - 1974 Century 24 Ft Buccaneer
    GOD'S LITTLE GIFT - 1962 Johnson 19 Ft. Runabout
    MON AMI - 1984 Catalina 30Ft. Sloop

I discussed my theory of the reverse rotation with my mechanic and another reputable source and they both agree that this is highly unlikely the cause of the water damage. If something got in the exhaust/muffler it was not there when we removed the components. I am going to focus on the shower head assembly, it was pressure tested to 50psi by my mechanic but I am going to perform a dye pennetrant test on the internal exhaust pipe section in the area that is cooled by the seawater pump to see if we missed something. Joe