Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Price to straighten shafts, new shafts ?

Got a quote to inspect and straighten 2" shafts at (EDIT) $44 a foot. My shafts are about 10 feet, so $440 per shaft. Plus another fee to install and true up coupling. Done at shaft/prop/strut specialty shop, so I presume good quality work.

Does this sound like the going rate? What would a new 2"x10foot Aquamat22 shafts cost with machining?

Using my redneck V-blocks and a cheap dial-indicator, the shafts seemed pretty damn true.
    Last edited by krush; 04-16-2020 at 11:33 PM. Reason: error
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Re: Price to straighten shafts, new shafts ?

I'm going to guess two grand. At least. I'm interested to see how close I get.

Quote Originally Posted by krush View Post
    Got a quote to inspect and straighten 2" shafts at $4.40 a foot. My shafts are about 10 feet, so $440 per shaft. Plus another fee to install and true up coupling. Done at shaft/prop/strut specialty shop, so I presume good quality work.

Does this sound like the going rate? What would a new 2"x10foot Aquamat22 shafts cost with machining?

Using my redneck V-blocks and a cheap dial-indicator, the shafts seemed pretty damn true.
    Did you mean $44.00 per foot? $4.40 per foot would only be $44.00 for 10' shaft.

https://www.deepblueyachtsupply.com/aqualoy-22-shaft

$2,432.54 per 10' x 2" shaft
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Quote Originally Posted by Photolomy View Post
    Did you mean $44.00 per foot? $4.40 per foot would only be $44.00 for 10' shaft.

https://www.deepblueyachtsupply.com/aqualoy-22-shaft

$2,432.54 per 10' x 2" shaft
    I did mean $44. Thanks for catching that (oops). And thank for the link with prices. Prices really JUMP up at 2" (1.5" x10' is nearly half the price). I was wondering why blowboaters were saying their new shafts only cost $700-1000 LOL.

An engineer with poor math skills. I'm scared.

2 shafts 2" x 11 foot and 2 props were $10k or there about last time I ordered them. He chose the veem conquest props which are pretty smooth.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

The price per foot for repair sounds a bit odd since they don’t know how bad they will be. Not sure what the cost should be as I ve never had to get any repaired.

I paid $2900 for each new 1 piece shaft on my 53, 2” but around 20’ Long using AQ22HS.

If they are true and you don’t have vibrations why bother with repairing ? What I would do is magnaflux the area around the key. Two years ago I had a prop fly off a 3 1/2” shaft after it cracked. Turned out the other one was cracked too
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    An engineer with poor math skills. I'm scared.....
    U shuld sea mi speling skillz

I ended up getting shafts straightened and coupling face turned. The measurement sheet they gave me showed 0.013" and 0.015" run-out at the taper on each respective shaft. Who knows, but all the stuff was there and I am doing a ton of work. I'll never really know if it will make her run smoother or not.

I also had struts bored out to 2 5/8" to be normal ID for cutlass bearings. For some reason, they were 2 9/16" (boat was repowered and shaft size increased to 2"). No clue why they bored to 2 9/16", which was a big surprise when I removed the old bearings.