Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Prices

Re: Prices

Ok sailboats were mentioned. I sold my Tiara full price in 2 weeks. Looked at many sailboats and surveyed 3 before finding the one we purchased.
    There were 5 offers on the table. We offered over asking price to get her. We live on the Chesapeake and over the years have often commented on the fact we were the only ones on the water most times. Now in the age of covid, there are boats all over on the bay. There is certainly a revival going on. IMHO its a good time to sell a boat.
    Fred
    31 Tiara Open
    "Escalation"

I'm having brokers call me and asking me if I'd like to sell. Had one walk down the dock over the weekend and said he could sell my boat today. I said I'm good for now but thank you. I never imagined that would happen with a 33 year old MY.
    Looking for a 80 plus foot yacht
    Hatteras of Cheoy Lee

I'll chime in I had a buyer lined up for August delivery on a handshake about 2 months ago. Told him we may decide to keep it then, which we just decided to do having used the boat more this summer then any other season in past 12 years. Had 2 more people contact me during that time, even with yachtworld listing removed 2 months ago, to buy her. Was told by a local marina manager that boats under $100k flying off the shelves.
    Scott
    1976 43DCFB ,Hull #428, “Exodus”
    Long Island, NY

The boat market is booming. Nice boats are selling quickly to the first person to look, for "out of the book" prices. Even the overpriced nice boats that have been on the market for a while are now gone.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

Well, good. Nice to see boats like ours getting their propers, even if it isn't strictly about them.

Based on the questions I see on social media many of the COVID avoiding horde of people currently getting into the "hobby" have very little, if any, experience. I see the same thing in the motorhome world. Expectations are frequently quite unrealistic. ("I can't run my A/C's all night on the batteries?") I wouldn't be surprised if there's gonna be a lot of boats, unfortunately in poor shape, for sale in a few years...... I know several motorhome owners that are already grumbling about "maybe this was a bad idea".
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    Based on the questions I see on social media many of the COVID avoiding horde of people currently getting into the "hobby" have very little, if any, experience. I see the same thing in the motorhome world. Expectations are frequently quite unrealistic. ("I can't run my A/C's all night on the batteries?") I wouldn't be surprised if there's gonna be a lot of boats, unfortunately in poor shape, for sale in a few years...... I know several motorhome owners that are already grumbling about "maybe this was a bad idea".
    You may have a point , however a lot of what is going on is driven by the clock. We are not getting any younger. I've bought and sold 3 boats in the last 10 years. The recent purchase is driven by a desire to cruise the Islands and beyond. A recent client asked "what are you, a sailboater or motor boater"? Then he said "I'll tell you, you are a Mariner". I'll take that label.
    Last edited by Finalee; 07-23-2020 at 12:33 PM.
    Fred
    31 Tiara Open
    "Escalation"

I'm in Fort Lauderdale and can tell you, inventory is low and prices are high, even for classics.
    The key is to keep up with maintenance. Very little interest in project boats but 'ready to cruise' boats are selling quickly.

I'm always looking at comps for my boat on YW. Average ask price has gone up 20% since I bought 3 years ago.

Now this is for a Viking MY. Imagine if I was as smart as you guys and bought a Hatt

edit: According to my broker buddy, COVID has something to do with this. Families want to keep the clan together. Parents want to be in control of the kids environment. Now that sports are not in play and flying to vacation destination is less desirable, a week on the boat with family is a great option.
    Last edited by Passages; 07-23-2020 at 03:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Passages View Post
    I'm in Fort Lauderdale and can tell you, inventory is low and prices are high, even for classics.
    The key is to keep up with maintenance. Very little interest in project boats but 'ready to cruise' boats are selling quickly.
    I'm a contrarian. I don't doubt lots of boats of sold, both used and old. What I think this shows is that we are in for some sort of MASSIVE crash.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

It’s all irrational exuberance. None of it makes any sense. People are sitting home getting paid because the companies took the bailout money. It all ends October 1. Thank god my son ended up flying cargo. He keeps hitting 100 hours a month maxing out the allowed flight time. All his buddies in the airlines are sitting on their asses at home but still getting paid. Nothing to do their looking at boat car and airplanes for sale. He knows several that have bought boats and one guy who has 2 acrobatic aircraft already just bought an Extra 300. My son asked him “you know October 1 your going to get furloughed” yeah but I had to have it. Like Krush said once reality sets in this house of cards is going to collapse.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present