Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Anybody airless spray bottom paint?

Anybody ever use an airless sprayer for bottom paint? I'm thinking about trying one of the handheld units. A guy on another forum says he uses his wagner all the time.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Re: Anybody airless spray bottom paint?

Painted a fence with a Wagner. I see no reason you couldn't spray bottom paint if its thin enough. Just don't breath the stuff or get it on your skin.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Given the coverage we are looking for I think a roller/brush would cover better. I also think controlling overspray could be an issue.

It would be faster!
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

I have never seen one of the new Wagner sprayers in real use but any other airless sprayer I have used always put more paint on my hand and arm than what ever I was trying to paint.

Walt Hoover

The paint is pretty thick and heavy. At least the Ultra 60 is. I wore out a cordless drill trying to stir it.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

I doubt a wagner handheld would do much with bottom paint, but I've had terrible experiences with them using normal latex paint in the past, so my opinion on them is biased.

Something like a true airless sprayer may work. Something like this

https://www.harborfreight.com/airles...kit-60600.html

I'm pretty sure bottom paint is classified as a pesticide so would likely be illegal to spray in most areas, so proceed with caution.
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

I painted my one story house in three hours, over spray lander on the grass and a couple of drop clothes. I mowed the lawn the next morning.

I can tell you that there is still plenty of overt spray.
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

I sprayed my 46C with an industrial airless spray system. Paint went on great, nice smooth surface, three coats.. worked great looked good, but do not believe it made the job that much easier and the antifoul did not last any longer then when I use a roller. Also needed a lot of thinners to clean the hoses and gun after use. Rollers just go in the bin. Pete

I’ve been in paint sales for the last 48 years. You would need a huge airless similar to one used to apply mastic. A bulldog or a 10 to 1 pump minimum. You would also need to back roll once applied to make sure you have an even mil thickness. You shouldn’t thin the paint because you want the mil thickness. If it were easy I’m sure every boat yard would be doing it and I’ve never seen it done in all my years of boating. However if you have the type of rig give it a go and let us know the results.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

10. Re: Anybody airless spray bottom paint?

In 2003 the admiral and sanded and painted the bottom.... Took a while and was not fun. So every since, to make it easy, we have the boat hauled, let them pressure wash it, sand and put on 2-3 coats of Micron CSC... A lot easier and faster.
    Charlie Freeman
    "No Dial Tone"
    1973 43' DCMY
    Fernandina Beach, Fl
    www.yachtmoves.com