Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Reasons To Maintain USCG Documentation

Since I have moved to FL I am in the process of registering my boat here as it is a requirement even if it is USCG documented. Same thing now applies in LA as well. So to do this I have to change my hailing port to FL which I am sure there is a cost involved. After that I have to register the boat in FL and cost is about $95/year with my EPIRB discount. In LA I used the boat a few times for charter purposes and do have limited charter insurance on the boat. I have not used it over here yet commercially.

I have the option of dropping my USCG documentation and getting a FL title which is about $12 one time fee. This will probably be cheaper than changing my hailing port and I will only have to pay the annual FL registration fee instead of it and the USCG renewal. Also if I go this route and not do any commercial activity I can get "antique" status on the boat where my annual registration would only be $7/year. I am still unsure if I can do the antique thing if I stay USCG documented.

With all this being said what are the reasons, other than travel to other countries, one should maintain USCG documentation on an uninspected vessel that would never be used for charter of over 6 passengers?

Re: Reasons To Maintain USCG Documentation

Antique registration is the way to go. Leave the hailing port on the documentation. It's not an issue.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Do you need to "drop" the USCG documentation, or can you simply not stop renewing it and let it expire.

If you let it expire, but maintain the documentation, it will be easier to sell the boat (it will still be documented/"deeded" in your name).
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

I dropped my documentation when I bought the boat in 2004. I travel to Canada without issue.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

You can get the antique reg if documented. Not an issue.

Moving to FL you may have to pay sales tax unless you were not a fl resident when you bought the boat and kept it in your home state for a while. Make sure you have all documentation incl out of state dockage receipts
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I don’t believe that you have to change your hailing port. Hailing port can even be a city that is land locked and is nowhere near water.

There are many boats named MadHatter but only mine can have the hailing port of Madeira Beach (Mad beach&#128077 FL.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Can’t edit from iPhone. Mad beach FL. And also then you don’t have to repaint transom.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

​can someone expand on the antique thing. Is that just a Florida thing or is it nationwide and what does it provide,. I have never heard about it. Thanks, John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

It s a florida thing. State registration for vessels over 30 or 40 years (not sure exactly) and which still have the original engines.

Maybe be California as a similar program... but somehow I doubt it just like FL sales tax is capped at $300k value
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Florida has antique vessel registration if your boat is over 30 years old and either has not been repowered or has been repowered with”the same type engines”. I don’t know if that simply means diesel for diesel or v-12 for v-12 or what. We pay $40 a year for our 63’ Cmy
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht
    1986 model launched in August 1987