Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Dip Stick calibration

I finally got a chance to calibrate a dip stick while fueling this morning.

I ve only done the fwd tank. Aft tank is almost empty but I need to clean it up before using. When the boat was on the hard I had both tanks pumped and cleaned but because the boat was blocked slightly now high there is still some junk in the back of the aft tank (access at the front)

Don’t know if the pic will be clear so the measurement for the front tank ( 53MY or 58YF) are as follows

10” from bottom 40 usg
    12.75” = 80 USG
    15.75” = 140 USG
    18.75” = 200 USG
    21.75” = 260 USG
    24.5” = 315 USG full

Even when they work the mechanical gauges are pretty meaningless because of the shape of the tank. When reading half full, you only have about a quarter tank left or around 80. Not sure if in later boats hatteras installed better gauges.
    Attached Images
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Re: Dip Stick calibration

Good info to have.
    ENUFF. 1983 53MY.Hull #617 Barnegat Light Nj.

Of course you heard about the blonde who ordered a longer dipstick since the one she had didn't show any oil on it.
    Summer Star II
    1986 Christensen 70'
    Ensenada, MX

Thanks for that Pascal, I just did a stick for mine and it really makes you realize how much smaller the lower part of the tank is than the top. On my electric gauge I show a little under a 1/2 a tank which is the same on my dip stick but with your calibration I only have about 70 gallons, not 150 if you only look at what 1/2 tank is on a gauge. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

I did this years ago for my three tanks. Because their all centerline and shaped to the hull the gallons per inch depth varies considerably. But to be accurate you need to know the usable fuel the tank holds not the total capacity. I’ve run all my tanks empty on long range trips and the usable varies quite a bit from the Hatteras specs.for example
    Fwd 450gal 435 usable
    Mid 350gal 310 usable
    Aft 250 gal 224 usable
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

This is why I like the Hart Tank tender. You get precise level in inches. Once you make up a tank chart you get readings in gallons that are within just a couple of gallons at any time/ any level you check.

Also glad I let my tanks get low before pulling for the winter. It looks like a fill-up will be much cheaper this spring.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI