Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Best practice for strainer wingnuts

Hey gang.Just looking for some help with the maintenance on my saltwater cooling strainers.I can get them opened and cleaned out but I can’t seem to get a good fit then seal when putting them back which is getting me water in the bilge when running them.Is there a trick to seating them or a proper tool to tighten the wingnuts? Scared to get too forceful with them and have them break. I’m really good at that!Hatteras 40’ DC 1987.

Re: Best practice for strainer wingnuts

Sounds like it might be time for new gaskets. Don't put too much force on them, they strip easy.
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

Perfect. Thank you for that. I looked into the strainer parts and saw there were gaskets that I didn’t even see when I opened the lid. So I’ll double check that and get those ordered. Seems like the easiest starting point as well.

What he said. You might also be very careful to tighten them evenly and get a seal. If you have to use a tool to get a seal then it's gasket time. Gaskets are easy to make from almost any rubber or cork material of about 1/8" thickness. Always rinse the assembly with freshwater after opening to prevent corrosion. And always leave a bit of grease on the threads for the next time.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    What he said. You might also be very careful to tighten them evenly and get a seal. If you have to use a tool to get a seal then it's gasket time. Gaskets are easy to make from almost any rubber or cork material of about 1/8" thickness. Always rinse the assembly with freshwater after opening to prevent corrosion. And always leave a bit of grease on the threads for the next time.
    Absolutely Agree with the above comments. I tightened one wingnut too tight and it striped the threads on the finger attachment (expensive and hard to find a replacement).

Also, I bought cork-rubber gasket material by the sheet and placed the round plexiglass cylinder on the gasket material, traced the lines on it, and cut them out with a good pair of scissors (take your time and be careful). I never had a leak and cost a fraction of the premade ones. Eventually I got rid of the cylindrical internal strainers and replaced them with the "Buck-Algonquin rectangular external scoop strainers" (also know as "South Bay Strainers"). You have to buy the ones with stainless steel screens (not the slotted external strainers). There has been a lot posted on this forum about them if you are interested read more.

Mark
    Lake of the Woods
    1989 40 DC

On my old boat I destroyed a gasket one evening right before we were about to leave for a trip. No spares on the boat, no gasket material on hand that was thick/soft enough. I used a silicone hot plate. It was about 3/16 thick and very squishy. Turned out to be the most reliable sea strainer gasket I ever had. Used it for years with no trouble or signs of wear. Always sealed/seated 100% with very little pressure.
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL