Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Best bottompaint

Your thoughts about which bottom paint is best for Lake Erie. Severe allge growth.Have been on line and seem like there all about the same. thank you

Re: Best bottompaint

I can't speak for Lake Erie but on the Chesapeake Bay and also in San Diego I always used Interlux. It is a good antifouling paint and worked well for me.
    Regards;
    Byron
    “In this world, you must be oh so smart, or oh so pleasant. Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant.”
    ― Elwood P. Dowd

In freshwater it is best to use a hard paint and not an ablative. Most use VC17 or similar.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Hello, I've used micron csx for years. As long as you see color it will work. I have not recoated in the spring for quite some time and it washes clean each fall. After 47 years it's time for blasting and inter protect now. Maybe this summer if we are not allowed to launch in Canada.

Walt Hoover

Check out Woolsey https://www.woolseypaint.com/

It's a different label but made by Pettit (compare SDS). Example, Ultima SR 40 and Yacht Shield SF are the same.....former is like $250+ an the latter like $150. Cheapest place I found is https://www.go2marine.com/search?keywords=woolsey
    PM me if you want tip how to get free shipping.

I used to buy Blue Water paints, but they got sold to Sea Hawk paints and the price went up. I was getting a great deal from a salesmen that worked directly for the manufacturer before they sold the brand to New Nautical Coatings (Sea Hawk Paints).

I'm in mostly fresh water but I use ablative. I like never having to sand. I just roll new coats on every few years.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381