Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

All Fuel Gauges Inop

The gauges to my belly tank and two saddle tanks on a 1974 46' Hatteras Convertible are inoperative regardless of fuel level. I am a new Hatteras owner having moved up from a 28' Bayliner so I am unfamiliar with "common gripes" that these boats might have. If it is a common thing, is there a common fix? Any help would be appreciated!

Jason Erbecker
    1974 46' Convertible
    "Liberty Risk"

Re: All Fuel Gauges Inop

Hello, my fuel gauges are direct read through a window in the cockpit sole. I have to pull them out
    this year and clean up the floats on them as they are starting to hang up an not read. If you have electric gauges then disregard my comment.

Walt Hoover

Whoover,
    Thanks, I read mine through the cockpit sole as well. I'll try removing and cleaning them.

Jason

When you’re ready to clean them make sure you’re very gentle with the rods in the center spindle. They are easily bent. I took a Dremel with a wire wheel and then 400 grit sandpaper to knock off any extra burrs. I’ve replaced mine With new ones but I’ve rebuilt three other sets. Fairly easy to do but just be careful. And if for some reason they’re not working there is another Hatteras site where somebody is selling four used ones of the units for 30 and $40 each. If you prefer new call Sam’s.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

If the gauges are Rochester gauges/senders they are still available. I had to replace one in a water tank that was direct read and electrical sender combination and it was a bit pricey. About $190.00 but are reported to be improved and not a likely to stick as older versions.

Quote Originally Posted by Lmcruiser View Post
    If the gauges are Rochester gauges/senders they are still available. I had to replace one in a water tank that was direct read and electrical sender combination and it was a bit pricey. About $190.00 but are reported to be improved and not a likely to stick as older versions.
    Yes they are.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

What's this "other" Hatteras site you speak of ??
    ENUFF. 1983 53MY.Hull #617 Barnegat Light Nj.

Facebook. It’s called Hatteras owners. Not nearly as informative as Sam’s. I ask them all to join Sam’s. Here is the add I saw yesterday.
    Attached Images
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    When you’re ready to clean them make sure you’re very gentle with the rods in the center spindle. They are easily bent. I took a Dremel with a wire wheel and then 400 grit sandpaper to knock off any extra burrs. I’ve replaced mine With new ones but I’ve rebuilt three other sets. Fairly easy to do but just be careful. And if for some reason they’re not working there is another Hatteras site where somebody is selling four used ones of the units for 30 and $40 each. If you prefer new call Sam’s.
    Thanks for the steer! I appreciate it

When you get them operating they still will not be exact. Just ball park. What I did on new to me boat was to fill, Run for quite a bit over time to burn off fuel (during normal use), and using worst case fuel burn I could find on my engines calculated I could find to make sure I didn't get to low I did this starting from 1/4 tank slowly filled up writing down number of gallons to 3/8, 1/2, 5/8, 3/4, 7/8, full, and then full to pinned, Full to pinned is a big one, at least to me. Mine takes 35-40 gallons more past full to pinned. So based on this I can easily fill at full speed up to full. Then top off with 20-25 gallons more but not needing to sit and listed for fuel vents to avoid dribbles into the water. I am within 10-15 gallons of being totally topped off.

Then as fuel is burned the tank markings have fairly accurate readings of what is gone VS tank gallon size. Also just to be safe I use only 90% of reported size by MFG. Not every drop is usable.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP