Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: All Fuel Gauges Inop

While we are here, does anyone know the socket size required to fit the nut. My set goes to 2" but its alot larger than that.

Thanks
    Walt Hoover

I think on my boat is was 2 3/8, but we ended up having to take the old water tank gauge out with a cutoff wheel or a Dremel; it was corroded into place.

I have found my tank gauges to be predictably wrong, which is a good thing. Unpredictably wrong would be useless altogether. I know when they read 3.4 each side on fuel that the tanks are actually full. Etc. They are consistently about 1/4 tank low reading, but since I do all my boating in the Chesapeake, where it's easy to get fuel, it has never been a problem. .

All good gouge. Thanks!

I replaced all my gauges with electric only senders from Sam’s. They have been in for several years and are reliable. They come in various lengths. I found that the direct reading gauges where sticking all time , especially the water tank gauges. The fuel tank gauges would stick too, just not as often. I would like to add ultra sonic senders in addition in the future.
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL

Not had fuel direct reads hang up yet. But, I always check them with a rough calibrated rod before a trip anywhere long enough to get into trouble.
    Attached Images
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Thank you Mr Rosenthal, the socket size required is 2 3/8". At least it was for one of my gauges which came out with very little effort. The other one however must be a replacement because it is 2 5/16". Luckily I remembered and old millwright trick of adding
    a dime to shim the socket. This gauge required more force but eventually it loosened and came out. Today I will clean them up.

Thanks
    Walt Hoover

Funny how I actually recalled that' it's been years. Glad to help.

After getting them home and measured they are both 2 3/8". I was using a 12 point socket and I think that was the cause of the slipping. One of the gauges was surely Hatteras original as it was all brass and cleaned up easily. The other had steel rods and required more sanding. If anyone else does this be careful with the rods that the float rides on and the spiral rod that turns the needle, you could easily make the gauge worse than when you started.

Walt Hoover

Been there, done that. Pulled all of mine years ago and put all new corks on them and cleaned them up. One of them was a problem and I worked on it several times before I got it just right so it wouldn't hang up. But, like I said, that was years ago and no issues since.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI