Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Leak in Salon Icemaker Water Line

The original wet bar and sink in my Hatteras 1966 50MY is inside the salon, starboard side aft. I have a slow leak wetting the carpet toward the centerline. Pulled the U-Line icemaker halfway out (it's heavy!). The water line is a clear plastic hose going from the hose connector at the front of the icemaker, then back aft where it disappears beneath the plywood floor of the bar, and probably goes right to the source. It does not appear to connect to the sink faucet anywhere I can see it. All of this plastic hose in sight appears OK. The leak may be where it connects to the copper cold water line but this is covered up. Does anybody know where this plastic line goes? I do not see any access so far.
    Last edited by Fanfare; 04-07-2020 at 07:53 AM.
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932

Re: Leak in Salon Icemaker Water Line

Normally there should be a shut off valve outside the wall where the plastic tube connects. But who knows what was done
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Thanks Pascal. Trying to avoid pulling original woodwork out just to see what is under it. Doesn't make sense that it connects to cold water line elsewhere than at the bar sink a few inches away. I believe that most of the 53MYs have the bar and icemaker installed on the afterdeck. I think this may have been an option on the 50MY but this earlier model does not have the wing doors or as much of the afterdeck covered. The exposure to salt spray would have ensured a short life for the icemaker.

I switched from my 60 psi fresh water pump to my alternate 30 psi which at least minimizes the leak.

Currently sheltering in place from coronavirus in Key West. Very few boaters left in Stock Island Marina. Hotel closed, restaurants carry out only, Highway 1 has police checkpoint permitting residents only to enter. So few people the city decided to repave Duval Street, the main drag. At least something good is happening.

Stay safe all.
    Last edited by Fanfare; 04-07-2020 at 09:46 AM.

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932

You stay safe as well. Glad you have a place to shelter in.

Quote Originally Posted by Fanfare View Post
    The original wet bar and sink in my Hatteras 1966 50MY is inside the salon, starboard side aft. I have a slow leak wetting the carpet toward the centerline. Pulled the U-Line icemaker halfway out (it's heavy!). The water line is a clear plastic hose going from the hose connector at the front of the icemaker, then back aft where it disappears beneath the plywood floor of the bar, and probably goes right to the source. It does not appear to connect to the sink faucet anywhere I can see it. All of this plastic hose in sight appears OK. The leak may be where it connects to the copper cold water line but this is covered up. Does anybody know where this plastic line goes? I do not see any access so far.
    I had the same problem on mine. The plastic line goes from the hose connector up behind to the back of the ice cube maker that's inside the U-Line, which it feeds. The plastic tube on mine got really brittle in places and started to break every time I touched it.
    Gary
    1984 53' MY Hull #625
    "JACE"

Problem solved! The stock bar cabinet unit consisting of the ice maker, a cold water sink and drain, and a liquor storage cabinet was constructed as a unit and dropped into my salon in one piece. For rigidity it has its own wood floor which goes in above the interior deck. The leak was between these floors. Most of the water connections aboard do not have any shut offs although I add them any time something breaks. As I was preparing to haul out the entire bar, probably damaging the wood paneling, a limber young lady friend of mine asked if she could take a crack at it. Crawling in and sticking her head under the cabinet she hooked the clear plastic water line and yanked. The far end of a copper tubing water line loosely attached to the plastic emerged. Each end of this plastic line had a regular size hose connector. The end under the sink's rubber gasket had succumbed to 55 years of aging and was leaking slightly. Connectors and hose replaced and so far working well.

I did not have the nerve to do this while we were living aboard in Key West since, without a shut off I anticipated making the leak much worse and losing all our water. I believe the copper water line runs behind the salon paneling until someplace going down into the stbd. engine room. I will keep searching in order to add that shut off valve but I am afraid it is covered by paneling or the head's Formica.

I have wondered (a lot!) why Hatteras did not just connect the ice maker to the bar sink water line. It may be the bar was optionally put in two possible places, mine in the salon aft stbd. corner, or outside on the port aft deckhouse across from the flybridge ladder. Perhaps laying the small plastic hose instead of copper tubing was easier than making larger holes. The 50MY does not have the wing doors of the later 53MY so the bar would have been more exposed to the elements.
    Last edited by Fanfare; 01-13-2021 at 05:35 PM.