Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How I Spent(spending) My Spring (Corona) Break

With the help of a very kind forum member, I was able to give my 12V71s a tune-up. Actually, this was the first since I've owned Aslan, or almost five years. I know some do the job more frequently, and that's just dandy. But the hours, compared to the equipment I operated, are relatively small. Very little to no adjustments to valves and injectors required. She's smooth as silk and reached the high idle pins (which is a pretty scary sound). I was finally able to use some of the gasketing and isolators the PO left me.

The tuning up turned out to be the tiny portion of the job. What were already pretty clean Detroits got the full treatment. The inboard rocker covers were chrome and pitted over time. I worked them over pretty good and acid etched them before priming with self-etching primer. That was followed by a few coats of high build primer and sanding. Finish paint is four coats of Johnson-Evinrude White (1972-on) engine paint. It's a color that I inherited with the boat, and it seems to have good durability. So outboard paint on inboards--makes perfect sense to me.
    IMG_1489.jpg
    Port
    IMG_1492.jpg
    Starboard and starboard outboard below. Finally got the outboard sides looking good enough to make the team photo, but only after removing 30+ years of paint. Naturally, the more you do the more you see to do. So hopefully back at it in a few days.
    Attached Images
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Re: How I Spent(spending) My Spring (Corona) Break

Beautiful as always! The very worst thing I did was to put all new LED lighting in the engine room. Boy did that shed light on a lot of projects.
    Robert
    MANCHIONEAL
    1973 43DC #365
    Mattox Creek, VA

I don't understand how you can live with yourself when your exhaust manifolds have the paint burned off.

That's really pretty.

Quote Originally Posted by q240z View Post
    I don't understand how you can live with yourself when your exhaust manifolds have the paint burned off.That's really pretty.
    Prozac
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Very nice. I’ll send you a PM that gives the coordinates on that spot you missed as to avoid public criticism or hurt feelings.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

I’m going to take off my Airsep filters and clean and re-oil them. The oil is red as you know and I’d love to find a way to turn them blue to help match with the blue hoses. Their only two years old so I’m not going to buy blue filters. Any ideas?
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

I have had good luck so far with the manifold paint from POR. I have about 100 HR on it and its still there
    .EFFDC39A-E68C-4E1D-B467-EDD04151C7DB_1_201_a.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    I’m going to take off my Airsep filters and clean and re-oil them. The oil is red as you know and I’d love to find a way to turn them blue to help match with the blue hoses. Their only two years old so I’m not going to buy blue filters. Any ideas?
    Turn the hoses inside out.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by Briankinley2004 View Post
    I have had good luck so far with the manifold paint from POR. I have about 100 HR on it and its still there.Attachment 39390
    I applied rust bullet a couple years back except I ran out at starboard outboard bank which is pictured. It really worked well sealing the metal. Need to see how rustybucket’s caliper paint’s working.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

I suppose you could spend a fortune and have your engines out of commission for a month or two and get them Jet-Hot coated...... yeah, right. I'd live with them as is, I would. Engines look terrific.