Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: forum behavior

forum behavior

The success and usefulness of a space such as the Hatteras Owners Forum depends directly on the civility of the people posting on it.

This is a very difficult time for all of us. In particular, for boaters, it's the time of the year when we look forward to getting our boats back in the water, getting to work on them (virtually all the people on this forum work a lot on their own boats, many with considerable expertise), and getting out for trips on their boats. For most if not all of us, the current pandemic and the changes it forces on our lives are particularly unwelcome as it keeps us off the water. In some cases and places it keeps us off our boats altogether.

Some of us make our livings on the water, or in activities related to boating. Those folks are also hit hard; in addition to being deprived of the use of their own boats, their livelihood is imperiled, or reduced, or both. This is not at all welcome, needless to say.

It's a stressful and hard time for all of us. All of us suffer the impact of the current medical crisis. And many of us are older, or have chronic medical conditions which put us at risk of becoming very ill or dying if we become infected with the coronavirus. In my emergency medicine work, we are already seeing cases of it, and the frequency of them is rising quickly.

It's particularly important that at this time, this virtual meeting place and space for boaters of all kinds, not just the owners of Hatteras yachts, is welcoming, civil, and helpful. Keep in mind that some of us will be doing our own work on our boats because marine service companies may not be permitted to operate during a general shutdown. It's likely that people will be asking forum members for help. It's up to us to provide help to them, if we choose to, in a constructive and civil way. I do not want to see any member or guest ridiculed or flamed for asking questions or asking for help. That kind of behavior will not be tolerated here.

There is a huge amount of accumulated experience and knowledge here on the forum. That is evident from the fact that the owners of other kinds of vessels come here for help, for fellowship, and for companionship. I'm asking all of you to make everyone feel welcome here, and to make this forum as positive as you can. Everyone here has a part to play in this. Make the lives of our members and guests better for visiting here, please.

Re: forum behavior

Jim,
    I agree with you, but I don't understand the need for the statement. I have always felt that the members here were very welcoming and helpful. Maybe I don't see some of what you see and subsequently delete.

Stay safe at the ER and thank you for your service to humanity. Its the health care workers who are the true heros in this crisis.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Jim, Well said and hopefully all will reflect on your thoughts. Stay safe all.

Thank you Dr. Jim

Please be safe!

Mark
    Lake of the Woods
    1989 40 DC

Well written Jim. Thanks for all you do for the forum.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Thanks, Jim. 🤝
    1977 Hatteras 58' MY, Hull No. 304, 4-stateroom galley up model with 8V71TIs in Knoxville, Tennessee

I was just thinking yesterday that I was surprised at some of the explosive comments made latly when someone asks a question about a issue that they have. This may be common knowledge to some but the original poster is hoping for a viable solution. We all enjoy our boats and I think most of us enjoy the work we put into them to put our personal touch on them. Chances are if you have something giving you trouble someone in the forum has already had it, solved it and repaired it. Be gentle.

Thanks
    Walt Hoover

Thank you Jim for your reminder of who we should be.
    Bill

Why do I get the feeling that I missed something really entertaining.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Red face Re: forum behavior

What did Freeebird do this time? I missed it.