Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

65 Hatteras 16v92 ddec2 1993 power loss water in raycor

To start out went out on sea trial my starboard engine wouldn’t accelerate no power. Went to ck found water in raycors. I drained water. Switched tanks to cockpit tank where port engine is running fine on no problem. I changed raycors primary and secondary. I have nice pink fuel in bowls. Engine starts right up. I can push throttle up and it slowly responds no black smoke. Has no snap. When I sea trial won’t go over 700rpm.

2. Re: 65 Hatteras 16v92 ddec2 1993 power loss water in raycor

You need to get a DD tech with a diagnostic computer down to the boat. I would advise that you not operate that engine until a full DDEC diagnosis is run. Only harm can come to that engine if operation continues. You will be looking at up to 500 boat bucks to rebuild that unit.
    Last edited by kelpy; 04-04-2020 at 06:50 PM.

Re: 65 Hatteras 16v92 ddec2 1993 power loss water in raycor

Ok thank you

I have the 8v92's w/DDECs, if there are no computer error codes actively coming up, I would continue to trouble shoot the fuel line. Check the fuel pressure display from the DDEC, should be around 40-60psi at idle. If they are low, I would check for clogged fuel line. Run the Fuel Priming Pump for a few minutes and see what the Racor Vacuum gages read....should be about 10-12. If they read higher/lower typically a sign of a clogged filter or plugged line. Given that you just change the filters, I would say plugged line.
    Best regards,
    --
    David

5. Re: 65 Hatteras 16v92 ddec2 1993 power loss water in raycor

Excellent point. If your fuel lines are over 10 years old and rock hard, they should be replaced. Every time you touch one of those rock hard lines, the liner is subject to cracking and partially plugging the line. You can check fuel pressure with a mechanical gauge on the engine secondary fuel filter housing where the fuel return line connects. Install the gauge just upstream of the manifold connection. That is the way my engines are configured. YMMV.

Check to ensure that the emergency stop plate hasn’t tripped and is shutting off air to that engine.
    The engine will perform exactly as you explained if one of them is tripped.

And with V-16 engines each engine block of 8 cylinders has its own spring-loaded shut down door-- so two for each engine. Make sure both are latched open.
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932

Now that I think of it when I took raycor apart I noticed a black piece of rubber the size of a dime. Maybe the rock hard inlet fuel line is deteriorating internally. I’ll check tomorrow ty allI did check emergency stops all ok

9. Re: 65 Hatteras 16v92 ddec2 1993 power loss water in raycor

10+ year old fuel hoses can ruin your day quick.

But to be on the safe side, get a tech down and run diagnosis on that engine.

Have him do a full tune up, including injector cleaning and spray patterns, on both engines if it hasn't been done in a couple of years

Nothing sounds better than a pair of well running 16-92s thundering away at cruise RPM.