Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

San Diego Bay Closed

Well it’s official as of 12:00 am they completely closed San Diego bay to boating, fishing, paddle boarding etc. $1000.00 fine if caught. However they say the channel is open to commercial boats. Is guess that is why there were so many boats out yesterday for a last cruise. This thing is really starting to suck. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Re: San Diego Bay Closed

More mass hysteria. I hope they don’t shut down Biscayne bay here. The safest place one can be is on a boat away from everyone.

FL Governor has issued guidelines banning raft up, beaching and no more than 10 people from the same family per boat. That’s Common Sense
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

The closing of the bay is working pretty well so far, just saw a big center console boat with 6 guys and 3 surfboards motor by also in the last 10 minutes 3 boats have gone by. Problem with something like this is who is going to enforce it. Our harbor police are next to useless at doing anything, so I assume that people are just going to ignore it. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406

Definitely not the kind of thing I want to see. Anybody know if it's possible for a governor to close the ICW in their state?

I would think not since it is the equivalent of a federal interstate, but these are some crazy times for sure.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

They have done the same in Half Moon Bay John. You can’t even get to your boat unless you prove you are a fisherman. Launch ramps are closed but nothing so far in the Delta other than closed ramps. They closed down my street and will not allow cars to park. They don’t want anyone to go to the beach. It’s getting real my friends.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by Freeebird View Post
    Definitely not the kind of thing I want to see. Anybody know if it's possible for a governor to close the ICW in their state?I would think not since it is the equivalent of a federal interstate, but these are some crazy times for sure.
    Might not be legal. Who’s gonna take’m to the Supreme Court?
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

I don’t know you who would be responsible for closing a navigable body of water besides the USCG Captain of the Port.

Who closed San Diego Bay?

Here in maimi the county and city mayors have put out no boating order and closed marinas. Probably 100 boats out on the bay today.
    Last edited by Pascal; 04-04-2020 at 05:24 PM.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    Might not be legal. Who’s gonna take’m to the Supreme Court?
    You have to ask?

What the hell are they going to do with people who are traveling far away from their home ports should this happen?

I don't see it being enforceable. I understand the logic, but it's flawed where transient boaters are concerned. These boaters have no choice but to try and make it to their final destinations, especially when there are no transient slips available.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

We have this whole group of about 30 boats that we call bouncers, basically homeless people with cheap boats that bounce from 72 hour anchorage to anchorage, sometimes they tow each other, most have only an old outboard for power if that. Don’t know how they are going to move around if the bay is closed. I agree, don’t see how it can be enforced. Friends down the dock went out to dump their holding tank and were stopped and given a warning by the harbor police. This should be interesting to watch.
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406

Forgot to mention that all the yacht clubs and fuel docks are closed. So unless you have plenty of fuel you’ll not get to far and then might not get back.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California