Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Re: Exuma’s in June or foiled by COVID-19???

The bahamian people are in a catch 22.

They need the money from tourism but it's scary to have people running over there that may carry the infection.

Here when they opened the beaches we were inundated with peoe who treated us and our town like crap. The hell with the tourists and the dollars they spend if its eaten up with cleanup and law enforcement costs.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Tourism croaked with Irma. The outer islands still do not have power. Marsh Harbour is junk. I think they still have bodies frozen in a trailer by the federal building in Marsh.
    Regards
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Mapes View Post
    Tourism croaked with Irma. The outer islands still do not have power. Marsh Harbour is junk. I think they still have bodies frozen in a trailer by the federal building in Marsh.
    Have you been to the Berries, Exumas, Long Island etc since Irma? They were not affected by Irma. Only the Abacos and GB were.

Mass tourism like cruise ships, crowded resorts is the danger. Private or charter boats create minimal interaction with local population Which is the whole point. Yes whenever possible we support the local economy but it is not uncommon not to interact with people for a couple of days. There are more beaches in the Exumas than people... typically when we dinghy to a beach if someone is already there we go to the next one ...
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    The bahamian people are in a catch 22.

They need the money from tourism but it's scary to have people running over there that may carry the infection.

Here when they opened the beaches we were inundated with peoe who treated us and our town like crap. The hell with the tourists and the dollars they spend if its eaten up with cleanup and law enforcement costs.
    What does a snowbird taste like?
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Quote Originally Posted by Hat52MY View Post
    I have a trip planned for the Exumas for the month of June this summer. We started planning for the Exumas as soon as we got back from our last Abaco trip (Pre Hurricane Dorian). Am I kidding myself that the Exumas is an option this Summer or is there hope???
    I think it pratically not possible in current situation

FYI Things are beginning to get sorted out.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...301069721.html

Here is another post that could be an indication of what is coming;

The Bahamas is about to reopen to international arrivals. To make the transition from fully closed to fully open as smooth as possible there has been a public and private coalition called The Tourism Readiness and Recovery Committee that has created a detailed plan to reopen. The measures for international arrivals are in addition to the protocols announced for the re-initiation of domestic travel meaning that further approval is required to travel inter-island after arrival in the Bahamas.

There is detailed document covering the specific measures being undertaken to ensure the safety of Bahamians and visitors. What is key in this document is the recognition that the Covid-19 virus is here to stay but with proper plans in place the risk of the virus can be mitigated. We will post the document here as it becomes available.

Here are the highlights for the cruising community:

• A full opening for commercial aviation and cruise ships will occur on July 1, 2020
    • Boaters will be required to register in advance of travel to the Bahamas and a negative Covid-19 PCR test will be required.
    • The form to register will be made available within the next week. Stay tuned for details.
    • Arrival to a marina must be announced 48 hours in advance.
    • Masks must be worn by crews and passengers
    • Marinas agree to space boats apart to prevent crowding
    • No group gatherings will be permitted in marinas
    • Fish cleaning tables will be limited to 1 person at a time
    • Social distancing is to be maintained within marinas at all time, particularly within laundry and fitness facilities.

After July 1, the Safe Passage program will no longer be required, however if travel under the right of innocent passage is required prior to that date application should still be made following the protocols established in April.

The measures represent the new normal in the Bahamas. Mask wearing, enhanced sanitation and social distancing are central to the strategy of reopening the economy and in recognition of what is at stake the measures will be strictly enforced by Bahamian authorities.
    Regards
    Dan