Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Re: Exuma’s in June or foiled by COVID-19???

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    If travel to the Bahamas isn’t restored by mid May I don’t know how they will survive.

This country will have to get going soon as well.
    The choice of two outcomes: A) POTENTIALLY lots of people will die. or B)GUARANTEED destruction of the economy for 5-10 years or MORE.

The "death rate" is a fictitious number because we don't really know how many people actually caught this virus. If 10 million people got it and recovered with no major issues, that scary "death rate" is much lower.

The flu kills a lot directly/indirectly every year too. It kills more kids and infants though....KungFlue doesn't appear to really affect infants/toddlers. But I don't follow it that closely. Was it worth crashing the economy over?

Another thought I read: Unemployment/poor economy causes significant rise in suicides and stress related deaths. It is very possible the economy crash will kill many more than the Kungflu.

Edit: I do not know anybody that died from Flu or Kungflu. But I do know people that died from heart attack, cancer, stroke, car crash......it's about perspective and optics.
    Last edited by krush; 04-04-2020 at 11:33 AM.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

We Are pretty sure we got it in early January a few days after attending the Pirates Party at Staniel Cay which had quite a few Chinese tourists. Typical symptoms reported. Naomi was worst than me to the point I took her to the clinic at BlackPoint They said it was the flu but none of the antiviral did anything. Got better after a few days but the cough and weakness lasted a couple of weeks. What is odd is that we never get sick and this was the worst I remember.
    Pretty sure my wife & I got it late January, early Feb here in Ft Lauderdale. I think Pascal brought it into the country. We too had all the symptoms. Knocked me on my tail for 11 days. Wife was down a week but had a worse fever. Both thought it strange because we never get sick like that. We were popping Airbourne, Vitamin C, Niqual and fever reducers. Don't know if it helped but we did make it out the other side.

Edit - just to clarify, our symptoms were persistent cough, fever, weakness and fatigue. No shortness of breath or breathing issues. Also did not lose sense of smell. Who knows? Bottom line, we are still behaving as if we have no immunity. Better safe than sorry.
    Last edited by Passages; 04-04-2020 at 04:46 PM.

Simple math... this chinese virus is going to cost the US economy at least $10T. We ll never know how many lives were saved by the shut down but even if it is 500 000 lives, that’s $20M each

And 500 000 death is pretty much what we get every year from tobacco ...

Think about it

At least, our economy is poised to bounce back thanks to our lower taxation levels and far fewer regulations compared to Europe.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I feel your pain. February 12 th I woke to what I thought was the flu. Called dr. And he gave me tamaflu. that did nothing. I finally went to the dr. A few days later I couldn't breath , had a fever, sore throat very weak pain in lower back felt like I had asthma no taste , food taste like metal plus light headless . I finally went to the dr. He told me I had pneumonia ear infections and that it was a virus that was very contagious. My oxygen reading from my finger was 93. Blood work show white blood cell count was out of wack. I'm 60 years old and the dr. Said he would have put me in the hospital if I had been older. The dr. Loaded me up with several antibiotics and an inhaler. Today I still have the cough. Sure wish there was a test to find out weather I had cornavirus. I was located north of ft. Lauderdale by about 10 miles. Hope everyone stays well.

It took my cough a month to completely go away...

I heard there was test being finalized to check for people who had the virus. About 50% of the people carrying the virus never develop any symptoms according to a new study. Bad news they can be contagious for a short time, good news the death rate is far lower than reported since more people have it than estimated
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Interesting, I had same symptoms in January, Doc said it was virus going round.
    I fly every week so good chance to get exposed.
    I understand about 2.5 million of use die each year.
    Ray

1983 61CY 319

AnnaVal
    Jacksonville FL.

There are several labs (government and private) working on tests to look at antibody levels; a high level of IGM would indicate prior infection and immunity. (at least that's been true in other infections in the past) This is an area of very active research efforts, but I would not expect it to be available widely for months.

I was in Ft Lauderdale at the end of January and went on a cruise with the Hatteras Classic Club February 1. When I got back to Maryland , I went to the Doctor in a few days. He did the nasal swabs which is not fun. Told me I had Influenza Type A. Got on antibiotics and it was gone about 8 days later
    Tomrealest@aol.com
    Needs, Wants & Desires
    1978 58 Hatteras Yachtfish
    SEA 21
    1974 46C #313 Hatteras Convertible

We Are pretty sure we got it in early January a few days after attending the Pirates Party at Staniel Cay which had quite a few Chinese tourists. Typical symptoms reported. Naomi was worst than me to the point I took her to the clinic at BlackPoint They said it was the flu but none of the antiviral did anything. Got better after a few days but the cough and weakness lasted a couple of weeks. What is odd is that we never get sick and this was the worst I remember.
    I had a very bad flu mid-February that lasted about a week. Worst flu in years... Felt so awful going to the doc was too much.

There is a good chance this Wuhan virus has already swept through the country and we are now just catching (and identifying) the tail end of it. Would love to hear our forum administrator's take on this possibility as he works in the medical field.

There very well may be some "herd immunity" in California due to all of the Asian visitors they get.
    Regards
    Dan