Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Exuma’s in June or foiled by COVID-19???

I have a trip planned for the Exumas for the month of June this summer. We started planning for the Exumas as soon as we got back from our last Abaco trip (Pre Hurricane Dorian). Am I kidding myself that the Exumas is an option this Summer or is there hope???
    Last edited by Hat52MY; 04-03-2020 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Damn auto-correct
    Best regards,
    --
    David

Re: Exuma’s in June or foiled by COVID-19???

We cancelled three March April charters and came back to Miami 10 days ago. One is already rescheduled for June and I m keeping my fingers crossed

If travel to the Bahamas isn’t restored by mid May I don’t know how they will survive.

This country will have to get going soon as well.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Who knows? If we look to China and Italy, we may get sense for how this virus runs it course.

My guess is April and May are lost. June should see us start getting back on our feet. (But I've been wrong before)

Jury's still out on that one. Cross your fingers and pray.

I have an Air B&B and Delta tickets to Belize June 19 for a scuba trip. Fingers crossed here too.
    1977 Hatteras 58' MY, Hull No. 304, 4-stateroom galley up model with 8V71TIs in Knoxville, Tennessee

We're scheduled for Exumas starting May 21st. Atlantis is re-opening May 15th. Slips at Hole in the Wall; Highbourne; and Compass but everything to be reassessed May 15th.
    If only there was a test to determine whether one is in the 15% or 85%. If the latter....give me the virus and let me get it over and done with. I'll take the 14 day isolation to shed the virus after recovery.

World economies will not have any choice but to open back up soon. This Wuhan flu is bad but I think most people understand that now, at least the ones that are most at risk.

If they open things back up, it still won't be the same as many will stay away from crowds at restaurants, etc. Those that have recovered or are at lower risk will carry on.

My neighbors had this virus in February. They didn't realize what it was back then and said it was the worst flu they had ever had. Now that they look back on it, they are sure that is what they had. This was circulating in our country since probably November.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I agree, if travel to the Bahamas isn’t restored by mid/late May, it will be an extremely difficult year for the Bahamas. I just received my Insuracne renewal policy and there is a specific exclusion for the Abaco’s due to extraordinary losses from Dorian. Still in negotiation with Insuracne folks.

At this time we are still planning on going to Exumas. Full of fuel, oil change complete on the mains, gears, & gen, new rib, rebuilt davit, smoking 40lbs of meet next week for the deep freeze. We are full speed ahead to cast lines June 1.

Given the analytics & models I have seen, baring any new surprises, we should be on the other side of the hump (recovery) by early/mid May. What will accelerate the recovery is if they get the blood test to market confirming if you are immune/recovered from the virus.

The unknown is the US and Bahamian boarders. We’ll pull the plug last minute, if not getting warm fuzzies. Stay healthy my friends & raise a glass to getting back to some form of normalcy...
    Best regards,
    --
    David

Would you not expect to be quarantined upon entry to Bahamas or re-entry to USA?

Fourteen days isolated on a boat sounds ... like why I own a boat.

Bruce

Freestyle
    1986 62 CPMY (54MY with ext.)
    Tampa

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    World economies will not have any choice but to open back up soon. This Wuhan flu is bad but I think most people understand that now, at least the ones that are most at risk.

If they open things back up, it still won't be the same as many will stay away from crowds at restaurants, etc. Those that have recovered or are at lower risk will carry on.

My neighbors had this virus in February. They didn't realize what it was back then and said it was the worst flu they had ever had. Now that they look back on it, they are sure that is what they had. This was circulating in our country since probably November.
    We Are pretty sure we got it in early January a few days after attending the Pirates Party at Staniel Cay which had quite a few Chinese tourists. Typical symptoms reported. Naomi was worst than me to the point I took her to the clinic at BlackPoint They said it was the flu but none of the antiviral did anything. Got better after a few days but the cough and weakness lasted a couple of weeks. What is odd is that we never get sick and this was the worst I remember.

As to the Bahamas, yesterday the PM announced a complete 48 hour lock down. All stores closed incl groceries. Nobody outside.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat