Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Re: Exuma’s in June or foiled by COVID-19???

Anything is possible but anyone with a bit of common sense will realize 300 tourists on a plane then in busy airport are far more risky than a family on a boat. But as we know common sense and government don’t do well together

If they open resorts and airports, I think marinas operators will push hard for their rights
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    Anything is possible but anyone with a bit of common sense will realize 300 tourists on a plane then in busy airport are far more risky than a family on a boat. But as we know common sense and government don’t do well together

If they open resorts and airports, I think marinas operators will push hard for their rights
    Of course marinas should have the same opportunity but common sense also says that the operators running between the U.S. (and that includes the personal, non-commercial operators like I used to be) do NOT fumigate or otherwise disinfect their boats every time they cross the stream.

And, people that board charters are probably going to fly in small planes that have similar issues. If they fly first class in a large plane the point defending family charters is moot.
    Regards
    Dan

You really think private jets aren’t cleaned thoroughly on a daily basis? Same with boats... we ve always cleaned thoroughly on a daily basis mostly with Lysol or similar anyway and even deeper before a charter. Reality check... this Chinese virus isn’t Ebola
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Pascal I am not attacking the charters. But I guarantee you that the individuals going over do not subscribe to the same standards you may.

All sorts of "stuff" comes over on regular boaters and the CV virus has everyone on edge. Given that paranoia the closure will extend to all sorts of import.

On an aside, those mega yacht charters are making a mess out of the Exumas. In particular Staniel and those areas surrounding. They come in with the stereo's blasting, jet skies, center consoles and completely disturb the area. The anchorage off of Big Majors was a circus the last time we were there and that was several years ago. Yes there are still areas that are not well traveled and it is up to you and responsible charters to keep them that way.
    Regards
    Dan

But even if private boaters don’t clean their boats like we do, so what? By the time they get to the Bahamas the damn bugs are dead. To use your words... it’s paranoia.

Megayachts aren’t a big issue since they re usually anchor far out. In staniel they anchor on the edge of big majors anchorage and while a few tenders and PWC run thru it s not as bad as the tour boats and some of the locals. These large boats contribute tens of thousands of dollars to Bahamas Gov coffers with charter license and charter tax. A 120 footer (probably average size these days) averaging just 8 weeks of charter a year will drop $30 to $40k a year in charter tax and license. Plus tens of thousands in VAT and fuel tax ... figure 1000 gallons a week... $2 a gallon fuel tax... here goes another $16k into the ministry of finance coffers
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Far more small boats come over and land.
    Regards
    Dan

What about the people in the Bahamas that may get sick from infected tourists? Its It's not is fair to take people to vacation into other people's backyards and risk getting the residents sick. That's selfish and inexcusable.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

The virus is not bacteria. It can't live very long without a host.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Actually it survives quite a while on some surfaces. Last study of this was NEJM a month or so ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    What about the people in the Bahamas that may get sick from infected tourists? Its It's not is fair to take people to vacation into other people's backyards and risk getting the residents sick. That's selfish and inexcusable.
    But its fair to deprive them of their only livelihood, tourism. I would think its up to them to weigh whether the risks are worth it. I'll bet most of them would rather have the income.

Most Americans are starting to realize this as well. Things are opening up, whether there are policies against it or not.
    Last edited by SKYCHENEY; 05-12-2020 at 11:06 PM.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI