Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Exuma’s in June or foiled by COVID-19???

I have a trip planned for the Exumas for the month of June this summer. We started planning for the Exumas as soon as we got back from our last Abaco trip (Pre Hurricane Dorian). Am I kidding myself that the Exumas is an option this Summer or is there hope???
    Last edited by Hat52MY; 04-03-2020 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Damn auto-correct
    Best regards,
    --
    David

Re: Exuma’s in June or foiled by COVID-19???

We cancelled three March April charters and came back to Miami 10 days ago. One is already rescheduled for June and I m keeping my fingers crossed

If travel to the Bahamas isn’t restored by mid May I don’t know how they will survive.

This country will have to get going soon as well.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Who knows? If we look to China and Italy, we may get sense for how this virus runs it course.

My guess is April and May are lost. June should see us start getting back on our feet. (But I've been wrong before)

Jury's still out on that one. Cross your fingers and pray.

I have an Air B&B and Delta tickets to Belize June 19 for a scuba trip. Fingers crossed here too.
    1977 Hatteras 58' MY, Hull No. 304, 4-stateroom galley up model with 8V71TIs in Knoxville, Tennessee

We're scheduled for Exumas starting May 21st. Atlantis is re-opening May 15th. Slips at Hole in the Wall; Highbourne; and Compass but everything to be reassessed May 15th.
    If only there was a test to determine whether one is in the 15% or 85%. If the latter....give me the virus and let me get it over and done with. I'll take the 14 day isolation to shed the virus after recovery.

World economies will not have any choice but to open back up soon. This Wuhan flu is bad but I think most people understand that now, at least the ones that are most at risk.

If they open things back up, it still won't be the same as many will stay away from crowds at restaurants, etc. Those that have recovered or are at lower risk will carry on.

My neighbors had this virus in February. They didn't realize what it was back then and said it was the worst flu they had ever had. Now that they look back on it, they are sure that is what they had. This was circulating in our country since probably November.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    If travel to the Bahamas isn’t restored by mid May I don’t know how they will survive.

This country will have to get going soon as well.
    The choice of two outcomes: A) POTENTIALLY lots of people will die. or B)GUARANTEED destruction of the economy for 5-10 years or MORE.

The "death rate" is a fictitious number because we don't really know how many people actually caught this virus. If 10 million people got it and recovered with no major issues, that scary "death rate" is much lower.

The flu kills a lot directly/indirectly every year too. It kills more kids and infants though....KungFlue doesn't appear to really affect infants/toddlers. But I don't follow it that closely. Was it worth crashing the economy over?

Another thought I read: Unemployment/poor economy causes significant rise in suicides and stress related deaths. It is very possible the economy crash will kill many more than the Kungflu.

Edit: I do not know anybody that died from Flu or Kungflu. But I do know people that died from heart attack, cancer, stroke, car crash......it's about perspective and optics.
    Last edited by krush; 04-04-2020 at 11:33 AM.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Quote Originally Posted by Hat52MY View Post
    I have a trip planned for the Exumas for the month of June this summer. We started planning for the Exumas as soon as we got back from our last Abaco trip (Pre Hurricane Dorian). Am I kidding myself that the Exumas is an option this Summer or is there hope???
    I think it pratically not possible in current situation

FYI Things are beginning to get sorted out.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...301069721.html

Here is another post that could be an indication of what is coming;

The Bahamas is about to reopen to international arrivals. To make the transition from fully closed to fully open as smooth as possible there has been a public and private coalition called The Tourism Readiness and Recovery Committee that has created a detailed plan to reopen. The measures for international arrivals are in addition to the protocols announced for the re-initiation of domestic travel meaning that further approval is required to travel inter-island after arrival in the Bahamas.

There is detailed document covering the specific measures being undertaken to ensure the safety of Bahamians and visitors. What is key in this document is the recognition that the Covid-19 virus is here to stay but with proper plans in place the risk of the virus can be mitigated. We will post the document here as it becomes available.

Here are the highlights for the cruising community:

• A full opening for commercial aviation and cruise ships will occur on July 1, 2020
    • Boaters will be required to register in advance of travel to the Bahamas and a negative Covid-19 PCR test will be required.
    • The form to register will be made available within the next week. Stay tuned for details.
    • Arrival to a marina must be announced 48 hours in advance.
    • Masks must be worn by crews and passengers
    • Marinas agree to space boats apart to prevent crowding
    • No group gatherings will be permitted in marinas
    • Fish cleaning tables will be limited to 1 person at a time
    • Social distancing is to be maintained within marinas at all time, particularly within laundry and fitness facilities.

After July 1, the Safe Passage program will no longer be required, however if travel under the right of innocent passage is required prior to that date application should still be made following the protocols established in April.

The measures represent the new normal in the Bahamas. Mask wearing, enhanced sanitation and social distancing are central to the strategy of reopening the economy and in recognition of what is at stake the measures will be strictly enforced by Bahamian authorities.
    Regards
    Dan