Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Re: Refrigerator...Scratching My Head...

Quote Originally Posted by Nick in Manitou View Post
    is that within a day the interior back wall frosts up to a point where the unit runs continuously and needs to be defrosted. I think that the basic design of this unit precludes effective use of that sort of thermostat. Perhaps if we had the boat in Arizona...

Nick
    Is there a freezer portion on this refrigerator? If there is no freezer, you should not have permanent frozen stuff.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Responding to several (good) suggestions...

Krush, There is no freezer compartment in this refrigerator. Supposedly it has an over-sized compressor and extra insulation so that it can meet some certifications for storing medicine (per the manufacturer). I honestly think that there was an error made when this unit was assembled and the device intended to hold the capillary tube to the evaporator plate was mislocated. (The previous owner of the boat purchased this unit new and said they just put up with the fact that it wanted to freeze everything. I never asked him if the problem existed since the unit was first in operation.)

Tony, I have looked into digital, programmable line-voltage thermostats and they all seem to be set up for household temperatures - none that I have found operate in the 30° to 40° F range.

Walt, The idea of a line-voltage timer that we could set through trial and error to whatever on-off cycle timing would be satisfactory had not occurred to us. I may resort to that!

Skycheney and Doc G have both suggested refrigeration-type thermostats and I was picturing having continuing defrost requirements due to short-cycling, but as Tony suggested in his post, if I attached the sensor to the back wall (where the frost builds) perhaps that would work!

Still fiddling with the stock thermostat (adjusting what they claim was non-adjustable to see if I can outsmart the engineers - rather doubtful, but I am stubborn!

Nick
    1984 53' Extended Deckhouse
    "Laissez Faire"
    Delivered 1-1-86 (per Sam's)
    Hull #CN737
    Sausalito, CA

I have to say, I'm with Scott on this one. I'd have it off the boat by now and something modern from a local shop with a warranty.

The funny thing is that Summit fridges are all over the place in medical applications and work fine. Not this one, evidently. And you're not the first person to have difficulty with one on a boat. I think we have another forum member who's had trouble with Summit units, seems to me.

I see you are have in issue finding a thermostat. My boat used a Ranco analog thermostat for the freezer plates that had a huge range of temperatures and was really accurate. Look at the Ranco model ETC-111000. Its digital, works on 120v and has a range of -30 to 220 degrees. They run about $60 online. Use this to bypass the fridge thermostat and it should fix your issue with proper sensor location. Your fridge wiring is simple so this should be pretty easily accomplished.
    1978 60C "Reel Action" Hull number 4 (304), 1986 36 Sedan "El Dorado" Hull Number 24 (324)

Sixty, That looks like another possible option if I get to the point of drilling through the side of the unit.

Nick
    "Laissez Faire"
    Hull #CN737
    Sausalito, CA

Sixty, That looks like another possible option if I get to the point of drilling through the side of the unit.

Nick
    BE VERY CAREFUL DRILLING IN A FRIDGE!!!!!!!!

(I will never again).

Many fridges, and especially freezers use the skin of the appliance as a cooling surface. There is actually refrigerant running inside. Drilling will result in PSSSSSST! and the last post in this thread will be about how you got it out, and the new one in.

Ask me how I know......
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Very pleased to say that with adjusting the screws within the thermostat, we have achieved success.

The unit has not frozen anything for more than a week and a half and the temperature range is fine.

Stubbornness seems to have paid off this time!

Thanks for all the suggestions and support.

Nick
    "Laissez Faire"
    Hull #CN737
    Sausalito, CA

Very pleased to say that with adjusting the screws within the thermostat, we have achieved success.

The unit has not frozen anything for more than a week and a half and the temperature range is fine.

Stubbornness seems to have paid off this time!

Thanks for all the suggestions and support.

Nick
    Glad to hear you finally fixed it.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI