Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Reserve fuel tank is over full

On my 1984 43MY the reserve tank keeps getting over full when I haven’t added fuel. The only thing I can think of is that fuel is somehow bleeding down from the main tank. Maybe leaking by the the fuel selector ball valves? Anything else possible? I think this may be causing a diesel smell in the aft cabin.

Re: Reserve fuel tank is over full

check the return valve and make sure it is working properly
    Mis b' havin
    1972 58 yachtfish
    58yf352
    pass christian, ms.

You have both motors returning fuel to one tank.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

The problem happens when the motors are not running. I reduce the amount in the reserve tank by running the engines from it and returning to the main tank.

Wanna sell that boat? I've always dreamed of having a boat that made its own fuel.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Any chance it's water getting in instead of fuel? Water would displace the fuel up. I'd probably try to suck some fuel off the bottom of the tank and see what it looked like.
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

Not water, it happens too quickly.

Seems to me that the reserve tank has to be gravity fed by a main tank if this is happening while the boat is sitting still with the engines not running. That would be pretty dumb to have plumbed it that way. Is this supposed to be a factory installed reserve tank?

That may just be your terminology.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

I'd lean toward a bad valve. I would disconnect the forward tank from the valve manifold and see which valve(s) was leaking, that should give you a very quick answer.

You could disconnect the hose at the valve manifold or at the tank, whichever is easier to access. Either will give you your answer relatively quickly.
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL