Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Talking Marquipt tender lift - easy and cheap repair

Hi,Just wanna share my story if there are anyone else with the same issue out there. So I have a 89 54MY with a Marquipt tender lift 1000/1500 with ac motor and manuel rotation. The winch first would no longer engage or hold the brake (it would spool out while loaded) and a few months later the motor died altogether).So I finally disassembled the winch from inside the lift boom, planning to remove the motor from the winch to have it repaired.I had by then looked online for ac winches as replacements, and found a good alternative in the Dutton Lainson Strongarm 9015ac without clutch, and spoke to their support engineer for guidance and suitability who confirmed the same model. I had also at that time contacted Marquipt support and asked for a quote on a new motor. So - when I today remove the winch from the lift I noticed it looked very similar to the Strongarm winch. So I called the support engineer back, send him some pictures of my old winch and he confirmed it was the excact same model! It had a good run lasting 30 years so I ordered one straight away from his sales colleague for $479 a complete new winch that would fit right in. One hour later I got the quote from Marquipt - $1450 with at least three week lead time. Lucky me 😊
    Attached Images

Re: Marquipt tender lift - easy and cheap repair

I actually just bought a strong-arm a couple months ago for my (very much less expensive) winch. That is amazing that this is what they use. I bought it because I like the form factor better than the wide winches.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Great post.

Are you saying that this product (without clutch) only needs to have the cover removed?

davit winch.JPG

On my motor there are brake arms which are like two little fingers with felt tips. Are these on the replacement above? Or were these brake arms a Marquipt addition?
    Last edited by scottinsydney; 04-03-2020 at 12:25 AM.
    +++
    1984 61MY #353 with 9' cockpit extension.
    Sydney, Australia.

That's the one 👍The break arms are included - I think they only modification Marquipt did was to put on a weight and replace the hook. At least from what I can gather at this point. If there are any thing else, I'll update once I get the winch.
    Quote Originally Posted by scottinsydney View Post
    Great post. Are you saying that this product (without clutch) only needs to have the cover removed?Attachment 39310On my motor there are brake arms which are like two little fingers with felt tips. Are these on the replacement above? Or were these brake arms a Marquipt addition?

Ordering one of those today has anybody else had experience with these strong arm winches?

I've got the original one still on my boat from 1987. I've replaced the Dutton Motor 3 times over the past 5 years . Today I'm replacing the brake assembly as my winch spools out under load. The little felt tabs only last a couple of years. Still a pretty good winch mechanically but the motors and brake assemblies are the weak points.
    Looking for a 80 plus foot yacht
    Hatteras of Cheoy Lee

Quote Originally Posted by scottinsydney View Post
    Great post.

Are you saying that this product (without clutch) only needs to have the cover removed?

Attachment 39310

On my motor there are brake arms which are like two little fingers with felt tips. Are these on the replacement above? Or were these brake arms a Marquipt addition?
    I ordered the model without clutch directly from Dutton. It was less than a week.

https://www.dutton-lainson.com/proddetail.php?prod=25728

Model: SA7015AC, without clutch

Notice also that I got the model that has the second pulley on it, meant to double the force. The reason for choosing that model is that it comes with more cable and is faster. I removed the second pulley and use it as a single line winch (which gives 1200 lb as described in the link). If you get the single line model, the cable will most likely be too short and the speed too slow.
    Last edited by Photolomy; 04-17-2020 at 02:27 PM.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

I've had mine for a few years now. No issues. Also ordered direct from Dutton.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI