Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Air compressor dumb question..

I need to purchase a small 12v tire inflator for the car and just saw one that is both 12volt and 120 volt. Is there any reason I couldn't use this compressor to pressurize the onboard tank without having to start the motor?
    John Novotny
    1979 53 MY "Serenity" #567
    Baltimore, MD

Re: Air compressor dumb question..

You could do that.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by Oldlaxer1 View Post
    I need to purchase a small 12v tire inflator for the car and just saw one that is both 12volt and 120 volt. Is there any reason I couldn't use this compressor to pressurize the onboard tank without having to start the motor?
    I assume that you mean in order to test the horn or wipers?
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Quote Originally Posted by Oldlaxer1 View Post
    If you don't already have one add an external coupling to hook the compressor up to the tank to fill it.
    Regards;
    Byron
    “In this world, you must be oh so smart, or oh so pleasant. Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant.”
    ― Elwood P. Dowd

I have a 7-10? Gal tank filled by my motor driven pump that has a rust hole and doesn't hold air for very long. There was a post here about how if the motor driven pump fails it could ruin that motor and it got my thinking. I was gonna replace the tank this season but now I'm considering a stand alone tank and pump. Hopefully I can find a unused AC breaker.
    ENUFF. 1983 53MY.Hull #617 Barnegat Light Nj.

IMG_1483.jpg
    Feeds a 30' hose reel, plus a 10 gallon accumulator tank on the flybridge for horns.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

If you are looking at adding an actual compressor to your boat, I use these from California Air Tools in my shop and they are as quiet as advertised. Of course, that means nothing if your engine is running also. But you would be amazed at how quite a compressor can actually be.

https://www.amazon.com/stores/node/6769542011?_encoding=UTF8&field-lbr_brands_browse-bin=California Air Tools&ref_=bl_dp_s_web_6769542011
    Last edited by Photolomy; 04-02-2020 at 11:19 PM.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

If I were to add a 120v compressor, I would not just get something at Home Cheapo. I have had very good luck with the Gast oil-less on my Bluebird motorhome. These are not cheap but they will last. If Hatteras was to do this originally it would have been something of this quality.

https://www.grainger.com/product/11X...g!472324140703!

Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

A 32 volt compressor would be handy.
    1977 Hatteras 58' MY, Hull No. 304, 4-stateroom galley up model with 8V71TIs in Knoxville, Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by Photolomy View Post
    I assume that you mean in order to test the horn or wipers?
    Yes, and also to use the tank for tasks around the boat that require air. Just don't want to have to keep firing up the motor to fill it if I don't have to.
    Thanks everyone.
    John Novotny
    1979 53 MY "Serenity" #567
    Baltimore, MD