Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Documentation

Documentation

So our documentation renewal got missed. Been busy. So go online to catch up and its $450 plus renewal. Boat is in Florida. What is benefit of documentation? Can I just get FL title? Boat is paid for.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Re: Documentation

If FL is like NY you've had to register it even though it's documented. You probably don't need a title, just ask DMV to assign registration numbers to ugly up the bow of your boat.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

I am in Florida, just moved here. The local DMV office handles it here. I was told I did not have to title mine if it is USCG documented however it must be registered. To register it I have to change my hailing port to Florida first. So I am now awaiting a reply from the USCG as to how to do that. They list a form on their website but no fees. I am also going to see what the fee to title it in Florida will be. If its cheaper than changing the port I may go the route you suggested.

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    If FL is like NY you've had to register it even though it's documented. You probably don't need a title, just ask DMV to assign registration numbers to ugly up the bow of your boat.
    From what I have seen in FL on USCG documented vessels you don't have to put the number on the bow but you do have a sticker you must put on the windsheild

Check the link on the other forum you posted in. Only an additional $5 to renew late

I will post it here as well

https://www.dco.uscg.mil/Portals/9/D...e_Schedule.pdf

I recently registered my boat here in Florida and also got a Florida Title.......total coat less than or about $25.00.

The boat was registered in Colorado and Colorado does not issue titles, the registration is "the title", well I wanted a "real" title so I got one (that's just me).
    Also since my boat was over 30 years old and has the original engines, it qualifies as an antique and I think I paid 7.50(?) for the 2 year registration.

So if you want to save a few bucks you can fill out the form and self certify that it meets the requirements of an antique.

Also, I put the 3 inch registration lettering, numbers, and orange sticker on a painted white board and hung it from the bow rail.......looks a hell of a lot better than on the bow.

Forgot about the ugly FL numbers. Just hate getting hacked for $450. As a business owner getting jacked every day with new requirements and fees. Latest in just today is some BS osha 30 hour course which gives me zero benefit. This after giving in to Honeywell requirements to pay big $ to send in insurance, safety plan, and license. Also had to prove my ten man company is not involved in human trafficking.

Sorry for venting but so sick of getting screwed. If ugly FL numbers are a lot cheaper may just have to do it.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Perhaps the wife was using a 3rd party. Will check. Thanks all.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Most states use the hailing port for property taxes.

[QUOTE=madhatter1;368344]Perhaps the wife was using a 3rd party. Will check. Thanks all.[/QUOTE

Every year I get a renewal notice from a third party mimicking USCG Documented Vessel renewal notices. The first dead giveaway is an outrageous renewal fee. Look closer, I'll bet it's not from the USCG. You can do most things on line or try calling the NVDC direct. If you can get them to answer the phone, they are friendly and helpful. Just overwhelmed most of the time