Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WTB: Looking for 2.5" or 2" strainer

Looking for a used 2.5" or 2" raw water sea strainer and scoop.

We are heading for haulout Wed morning and one of my jobs is to pop a big hole in the hull and add a larger intake for raw water intake (AC, washdown, watermaker...etc). I've got a 2.5" seacock so I'm kinda leaning toward that size thru-hull.

Anyone happen to have an old sea strainer scoop/grate and/or an internal 2" or 2.5' strainer basket laying around they want to let go for a reasonable price?

The idea is to create one raw water manifold to feed everything that needs raw water and get rid of a couple of smaller thru-hull fittings in the process and hopefully clean up the engine room area in the process.

Pics for reference of what I'm looking for, brand doesn't matter to me.

Also, anyone see a reason not to setup our raw water system this way?
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

Re: WTB: Looking for 2.5" or 2" strainer

Why not skip the big strainer and just pop a south bay Strainer on the bottom of the boat instead of a scoop? Saves room inside.
    John
    1981 58 Yachtfish Hull 477
    Wickford RI

Quote Originally Posted by johnjen50 View Post
    Why not skip the big strainer and just pop a south bay Strainer on the bottom of the boat instead of a scoop? Saves room inside.
    yeah, i have considered that but we suck up a LOT of stuff. Our engines have the southbay strainers AND the basket strainers and we pull/dump out all kinds of stuff from the basket strainers, lots of it is too large to pass through a heat exchanger.

So, while I would LOVE to just use the external strainer I'm just not sure I have a high confidence level in it to remove everything we suck up. We are often fishing weedlines with tons of plastic garbage in them.

Just last week I pulled about a 4" blue crab out of our starboard engine strainer basket. Not sure if he grew up in the southbay strainer or sliped in sideways lol.
    Last edited by rustybucket; 03-30-2020 at 12:04 PM.
    SOUTHPAWS
    PENSACOLA, FL

That's not a Southbay strainer if you're getting all that stuff in it. Or, at least not a good one.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

I'm a big believer in the inside strainer. Your large bore and strainers is ideal for wash down and aux needs.
    Just remember, scoops do not go to gen-sets.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ralph View Post
    I'm a big believer in the inside strainer. Your large bore and strainers is ideal for wash down and aux needs.
    Just remember, scoops do not go to gen-sets.
    The genset has it's own thru-hull and strainer, it will not be ran off this strainer.

After this project I will have the following thru-hulls

2 main engine (already existing)
    1 genset (already existing)
    1 tuna tube/baitwells (2" already existing)
    1 aux raw water (2" or 2.5")
    SOUTHPAWS
    PENSACOLA, FL

Somebody on here had one for sale a few months ago if I remember right.

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    That's not a Southbay strainer if you're getting all that stuff in it. Or, at least not a good one.
    Do you happen to have a part number for the southbay strainer that would work for a 2.5" thru-hull fitting?
    SOUTHPAWS
    PENSACOLA, FL

Quote Originally Posted by rustybucket View Post
    Do you happen to have a part number for the southbay strainer that would work for a 2.5" thru-hull fitting?
    Buck Makes them:

https://catalog.hydrasearchrecreatio...e-2/00rss110pf

Groco makes them:

https://www.groco.net/products/raw-water-strainers/hull-strainer/aphs-series/aphs-3000-1

Although I like the Bucks with the knife-edge holes a little better.

The ones on my boat came from B&S and are cast and drilled. Non-removeable screens. However I have had no issues with them. Unfortunately I can't find the listing on B&S's website. Not sure if they still offer them. But maybe you can contact them:

https://www.bosslerandsweezey.com/marine-hardware/
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    Buck Makes them:

https://catalog.hydrasearchrecreatio...e-2/00rss110pf

Groco makes them:

https://www.groco.net/products/raw-water-strainers/hull-strainer/aphs-series/aphs-3000-1

Although I like the Bucks with the knife-edge holes a little better.

The ones on my boat came from B&S and are cast and drilled. Non-removeable screens. However I have had no issues with them. Unfortunately I can't find the listing on B&S's website. Not sure if they still offer them. But maybe you can contact them:

https://www.bosslerandsweezey.com/marine-hardware/
    Thanks for the link. Do you guys put bottom paint or anything on the screens? Sure seems like that would pile up with growth in a very short time.
    SOUTHPAWS
    PENSACOLA, FL