Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Cracked Battery Casings

My batteries and boxes were just as bad when I bought my boat in 2004. I also pulled them and reglassed and painted them. Then went with Rolls Batteries. The house/inverter bank lasted 9 years and the stbd set is still going strong after 11. I still say buy the best batteries and most advanced charger you can get. Its worth it not to have to change them out as often.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by davidwigler View Post
    Where did you get that battery watering system?
    You know, I'm not slamming battery watering systems one bit. I just think in my particular case, I might not get over to that far bank as often to have a looksee. I like to check the jumpers and look for any corrosion around the terminals on a routine basis. OTOH, I've been known to stretch out over there and catch forty-winks on top of that battery box.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    You know, I'm not slamming battery watering systems one bit. I just think in my particular case, I might not get over to that far bank as often to have a looksee. I like to check the jumpers and look for any corrosion around the terminals on a routine basis. OTOH, I've been known to stretch out over there and catch forty-winks on top of that battery box.
    Thanks Ralph. Its a bit of a reach over the generator but I can remove the battery box tops and put eyes on the float indicators, even with *my* short pterodactyl arms...
    Captain Chuck Bullett; W1AEK
    Chartmaker 1978 53MY Hull #522
    On-Air 2014 31 Benetau Oceanis Sloop
    chuckbullett@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    Put the rtv away and get new batteries. That's not a good fix and the fact that they cracked in one place means they will in others.ozone and other factors cause the plastic to get brittle. It will crack and or leak somewhere else and that's not safe.

Please use common sense when choosing a path of repair and maintenance. My insurance company would cringe if I recomend a fix like that. I'm sure a survey would bring up the issues and if there was a problem you could be denied coverage for something like that.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>snip<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< <<<<<<<<<<<

I totally understand your response Scott. I'm not going to move those batteries until the cracks are plugged underway... so yeah, the RTV is going to get used, if at least for that. I'll be sure to cover our beautiful Burmese teak galley stairs we built a few years ago from any dreadful crap leaking out those cells, but I'm hoping I can plug them adequately.

I'm guessing that US Battery will be able to get a new battery set up to us in SF in a week or two if they're operating as an exempt business, supplying the marine and construction industries.

Thanks for your candor.

Cheers

Chuck B.
    Captain Chuck Bullett; W1AEK
    Chartmaker 1978 53MY Hull #522
    On-Air 2014 31 Benetau Oceanis Sloop
    chuckbullett@gmail.com