Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Re: Quarantine can help with boat upgrades

That's a beautiful piece of work.

2. Re: Quarantine can help with boat upgrades

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    That's a beautiful piece of work.
    Thank you Jim, glad you're still following along.
    Eric
    1972 Uniflite Salty Dog "Sharon Jean"

https://72saltydog.shutterfly.com/

Preceded by a 1967 Hatteras 34C

3. Re: Quarantine can help with boat upgrades

Earlier in the process, I noted that the Nidacore was notched in four locations and that
    solid G-10 fiberglass blocks were glassed in place. The G-10 material is incredibly strong,
    and can be drilled and tapped.

Dan (34Hatt) gave me the idea (and the G-10 blocks) so that the angle support brackets
    could be bolted directly into the G-10, eliminating the need for any visible through bolting
    on the top of the platform.

Here's a few shots of the tapped holes. I drilled completely through the platform, which made
    it easier to run the tap all the way through. Once I have the brackets worked out, I'll cut the
    bolts slightly short, and fill in the holes on the top side before applying the non-skid.

DSCF1210.jpgDSCF1212.jpgDSCF1213.jpg
    Eric

Good thinking on drilling all the way through and filling later. Hopefully that works out well. I just wonder if the filler will crack around the edges of the hole. I guess it depends on the material used and the depth of the filler.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

that hole will show back up. dont know how ling but it will be there later in life unless you put a piece of glass over it
    Mis b' havin
    1972 58 yachtfish
    58yf352
    pass christian, ms.

6. Re: Quarantine can help with boat upgrades

All concerns on filling the bolt holes are certainly valid. I should be good in this
    situation though. The bolts are only 3/8", they probably look much bigger in the
    close up pics. Also, I'll be using Kiwi Grip non-skid, which goes on pretty heavy and
    easily covers up minor imperfections.

Here is a shot of the bolt hole on the top of the platform. Before filling the hole was
    beveled. I left the bolt short enough so that the filler catches at least one of the threads.

DSCF1229.jpg
    Eric

Hi Eric, Sharon - Looking Fantastic! Really cool project and another fantastic mold by Dan! I used Kiwi Grip on my swim platform about 8 years ago and it's held up fantastic. It covered the silicone bronze carriage head bolts on top wonderfully and have not wore through to date. Only advice I can give is not too aggressive on Kiwi Grip texture if you plan on adding swim ladder and/or being bare foot (knock the points down).

Hope to see you guys in Block, I was at my 43DC yesterday and smelling the fresh sea air really has me wanting to take her off market. I'm restoring recently acquired 17' whaler at present to scratch that itch, but have so much love, sweat, blood, and money into that big ass mistress coupled with fact she is legitimately 'done' after 12 years stewardship has me second guessing myself. However, the same force that is keeping me from going back into the stock market is the same force keeping me from removing listing - trusting my gut has gotten me pretty far, hopefully not another lesson learned the hard way. Time will tell.... in mean time God Bless you both!
    Scott
    1976 43DCFB ,Hull #428, “Exodus”
    Long Island, NY

8. Re: Quarantine can help with boat upgrades

Hi Scott,
    Thanks for the compliments and also for the input on the Kiwi.
    Glad to hear it has held up so well for you.

We're looking forward to seeing you and your family out at Block as well. I still can't believe
    your 43 is on the market. As Derek said though, either way you're obligated to be at the rendezvous

Word on the street is that you'll have an additional family member too, congratulations !!
    Last edited by Sharon Jean; 04-22-2020 at 08:10 AM.
    Eric

9. Re: Quarantine can help with boat upgrades

After carefully measuring lengths and angles, it's time to fabricate up some brackets.
    The bulk of the attachment strength will be the eight 1/2" bolts through the transom.
    The brackets will just be providing vertical load support.

Four brackets were fabricated out of 1" heavy wall SS tubing. I had to clamp a simple
    jig to the platform to duplicate the angle of the transom.

DSCF1214.jpgDSCF1215.jpgDSCF1218.jpg
    Eric

10. Re: Quarantine can help with boat upgrades

Here are a few more bracket pics. Note that the bend on the bracket where it will touch
    the transom is rotated slightly from the bend at the platform. This is to allow the bolt
    mounting surface to sit perfectly flat against the transom.

DSCF1220.jpgDSCF1224.jpg

Here's one of the through bolts and wedges.

DSCF1225.jpg
    Eric