Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Holding Tank Capacity 53MY

I'm assuming there will be some variations, but what is the factory holding tank capacity on a '75?

Yes, I'm asking for Robby because he doesn't have a laptop at the moment. Brokerage listing shows 2, 50 gallon tanks. That very well may be as these things can get changed, but I don't remember those boats having two tanks.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Re: Holding Tank Capacity 53MY

They did have two tanks. My 53 still has the two pump out fittings. That said things may have been changed. Mines were removed in the 90s when VF were installed and replaced by a single 100 gal under the forward cabin floor.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Interestingly I looked at the manual and no holding tanks are shown. They must have been optional in 1970 and added later on. I have a disconnected pump out fitting on Stbd all the way aft, one on stbd just past the PH door and one at the bow, currently used for the 100 gal tank mentioned ealier.

I wonder when hatteras installed tanks at the factory. I wonder what kind of head hatteras used in 1970. The single paragraph instructions for the “toilets” said to press the pedal while holding the switch on the cabinet to flush
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

My year 79 has two totaling 120 gallons.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    Interestingly I looked at the manual and no holding tanks are shown. They must have been optional in 1970 and added later on. I have a disconnected pump out fitting on Stbd all the way aft, one on stbd just past the PH door and one at the bow, currently used for the 100 gal tank mentioned ealier.

I wonder when hatteras installed tanks at the factory. I wonder what kind of head hatteras used in 1970. The single paragraph instructions for the “toilets” said to press the pedal while holding the switch on the cabinet to flush
    I don't think there were laws dealing with direct overboard discharge in 1970. I know people "modify" these older boats, so I'm assuming maybe the broker knew what was in the boat. Then again, you know how some brokers are.

Seriously, I negotiated this deal and the broker seemed to be a straight shooter on every level. I do know the boat underwent a $300K refit a few years back, so maybe the tank(s)were replaced then.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

My 1974 53MY had a 100 gallon tank fwd and a 50 tank in the stbd engine room outboard of the engine that you walk on. Both look to be factory built. My fwd tank was converted to fuel by a PO. And now I am removing the engine room tank for my stabilizer install. New 60 gallon tank going in the gen room outboard to Stbd., John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Like I told Robby, it just is what it is. I understand the concern from the standpoint of being a liveaboard, but that just means you pumpout more often, or install a bigger tank.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by Freeebird View Post
    Like I told Robby, it just is what it is. I understand the concern from the standpoint of being a liveaboard, but that just means you pumpout more often, or install a bigger tank.
    Or you add a lectrasan if legal in your area.

Pump out more often works if you have pump out at your dock. If you have to go somewhere or rely on a pump service on fixed day, it s a pita. Here in Coconut grove, the marina never replaced the main pump that was submerged in Irma 2 1/2 years ago. Instead they use a pump out boat twice a week. Well now once a week because of the virus.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    Or you add a lectrasan if legal in your area.

Pump out more often works if you have pump out at your dock. If you have to go somewhere or rely on a pump service on fixed day, it s a pita. Here in Coconut grove, the marina never replaced the main pump that was submerged in Irma 2 1/2 years ago. Instead they use a pump out boat twice a week. Well now once a week because of the virus.
    I think the larger tank comment pretty much covered that.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

1978 53MY, from the manual, 165 gal. total.

The center bow holding tank is 105 gal. And there is a starboard tank (under the dinette in the bilge) that holds 60 gal. After looking at the blueprints for the engine electrical system, the 60 gal tank is just in front of the generator muffler, under the dinette.

The master and bow heads use the 105 gal tank, and the guest head uses the 60 gal tank.

I am kind of amazed that the master head pumps all the way to the bow tank.
    Last edited by Photolomy; 03-27-2020 at 08:13 PM.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL