Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Exhaust Noise?

Hybrid View

Exhaust Noise?

First off I know the old 2-strokes are loud and I have no problem with that. However, one thing I struggle with is when I'm running at about 1300 rpm or above the sound from the exhaust is similar to the sensation you get when you roll down just one window in your car X10. I was wondering if this is normal or if there is something that I need to modify on my exhaust. It would seem that the wet mufflers would dampen this assuming they are set-up correctly. Another Question I would have is; do the wet mufflers go bad? i.e. internal components that get corroded away.

The engines are 8v71TIs.
    Last edited by Play'N Hooky Too; 03-26-2020 at 10:01 PM.
    "The only thing that always works on an old boat is the owner" - Some Wise Guy

1976 46' Convertible
    Bayou Chico
    Pensacola, Florida

Re: Exhaust Noise?

Do you have a hardtop on your boat? A friend had an O yacht with 671s, no mufflers just hush boxes. The sound was bouncing off of the underside of the top and would be very loud.

I have the same motors with wet exhaust and don’t have your issue. I do drive from the fly bridge and it only has a Bimini, no side curtains.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by skater View Post
    Do you have a hardtop on your boat? A friend had an O yacht with 671s, no mufflers just hush boxes. The sound was bouncing off of the underside of the top and would be very loud.
    After checking everything out on the exhaust system, this seems to be the most likely explanation. The sound is reverberating off of the underside of hard top turning the entire flybridge into a big echo chamber. To test out this theory my brother took an 8" PVC elbow, cut it into two pieces and temporarily installed them into the outlets so that the exhaust is directed downward toward the water. The difference is night and day as far as the reverberating sound is concerned. I will now seek to implement a more permanent and less ghetto solution to resolve this issue.

Thanks for the responses.
    "The only thing that always works on an old boat is the owner" - Some Wise Guy

1976 46' Convertible
    Bayou Chico
    Pensacola, Florida

Hello,

When I added my swim platform I started to get a sooty mist that would station wagon it's way into the cockpit. It was a mess and made everything wet. I made a plug with an 8" diameter about 20 " long and laid up a fiberglass pipe. Once it set I cut it in half length wise giving me two half pipes. I trimed them to fit under the platform up against the transom at the exhaust holes and attached to the platform. It's not pretty but barely noticeable and keeps the water and soot shooting straight out and solved the problem.

Walt Hoover