Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Stater issues on 8 71's and almost out of ideas.

So once agin all the input here helped and I am eventually off the dock and underway.Heading south to self isolation.I will fill all in the details of what it took to it fixedThanks for all the input
    Shaun
    Tampa FL
    Hatters 53MY 1975 HULL # 454

1st mate to www.theboatbabe.com
    Blog: www.weliveonthesa.com

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    I think you stated the problem in the first post:“ My new batteries had lead melted on them from the terminals”God knows what happened inside...Personally I m not a big fan of parallel solenoids, I prefer a simple heavy duty battery switch. They rarely fail.. I haven’t installed a parallel system on my repowered cummins but it will be a battery switch not a solenoid
    FWIW, a 12 volt load tester works fine in terms of determining if the battery holds a load.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by Shaunc View Post
    So once agin all the input here helped and I am eventually off the dock and underway.Heading south to self isolation.I will fill all in the details of what it took to it fixedThanks for all the input
    Please do so. Inquiring minds want to know

On the hook and waking up to an awesome Florida morning.

Lying awake a night trying to figure this out, what Brian said that just because you have the volts does not mean you have the amps!! kept playing over in my mind.

I did leave out that I am one of the 871 owners that switched to 8v golf cart batteries after much debate and advice from other members on the site. I then ran into Pat from Murphys Law who had a 74 53MY and showed me his set up that he had been operating for years. So I did the switch on the starboard side and it worked well for a few years so now I was switching out the port side.

I then followed some of the other Brian's recommendations and it looked more and more like battery issues.

It made me wonder if the 2nd set of loaner batteries that I put in, had the amps? Well it turns out they did not. The auto repair shop ( I know one of the guys that works there) that lent me them did not bother to check the amps and neither did I. The place I bought my 1st set closed by 5pm and I wanted to get this figured out ASAP.

Yesterday, I took the 1st set off batteries back to the local battery shop where I bought them. Dave at Possey batteries turns out has a wealth of knowledge. When I called him to tell him I was bring them in, he said I need to take him the jumper cables old and the new ones and main cable lugs that hook to the batteries.

He load tested the batteries and the batteries tested well, 650 plus amps per battery. He said the thread post where I shorted them had melted the lead was not level around the thread. The main positive cable lugs had a dimple on it from many years ago and that combined with damaged lead terminals, he felt that it was preventing getting a good load draw.

He said he would rebuild the damaged posts and build me new jumpers. He recommended I get a file and file down the dimple on the positive lug and that would help.

A few hours later and I was changing out batteries again and Dave from Possy had repaired the lead on the posts, new jumper cables and a filed down dimple.

With my wife and I hold our breath, it fired right up 1st and it did for a second and third time. We were free at last. Time to leave the dock!!!!

What this meant is that the started motor that I had rebuild did not have to be rebuilt, but just as well as I did because it clearly had issues. It may have gone out on this trip so I will take that as a positive.

So lessons learnt.
    Secure the floor hatch so it does not fall on you when working on the batteries.
    A slight damaged lead post and an old dimple on a lug can mean not enough draw.
    Make sure the batteries have enough amps even if they have the volts.
    I should have asked the local battery expert for advice before messing with a 2nd set
    The curse of taking out the starter motor to rebuilt was a blessing
    Always ask for advice from the forum because you will always get good solid help.

As a last item, my parallel solenoid was bad. Pulled it out and it was an old Delco Remy one with a part number. I called Sams and they had one for $199 and would over night air one to me for another $100 plus. I told them I would use jumper cables in an emergency, but would reach out to them when back. I was also thinking about what Pascal mentioned about a simple battery switch but decided to deal with it when I get back.
    I then entered the old serial number online and found and old new in box one on ebay for $30. I ordered that immediately. Got lucky there.

Thanks again for all the help and stay safe and healthy during this crisis.
    Last edited by Shaunc; 03-28-2020 at 09:22 AM.
    Shaun
    Tampa FL

Glad you figured it out. Now just remember to stay 50ft away from other boats or the Governor will come after you.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

A 1-2-both switch sure would have narrowed that down easily.
    1977 Hatteras 58' MY, Hull No. 304, 4-stateroom galley up model with 8V71TIs in Knoxville, Tennessee

Glad you got her going. I had an issue with my starter hanging up that was running my batteries down. I couldn't hear it with engine running. Thought my batteries were bad but it wasn't. If you get a chance can you post or send me the name of the place that rebuilt your starter? My boat is in Tarpon Springs. Right now its still going but I think it is going to need a rebuild soon.

Hey Brian

I used Hutchinson Auto Electric, Mark there is excellent and they did mine in 2 hours after drop off and for $260, I thought that was grate value and service. They did my starboard one a bout 2 years ago.

They are in Tampa just off 60 and the cross town.

Thanks for the help and stay safe and healthy
    Shaun
    Tampa FL

Thanks Shaun. I will keep this information for the appropriate time